PART ONE

zero

Cal Kestis was almost always easily distracted. Even when he was training, his master, Jaro Tapal, could see this. Glazed eyes stared at him when he explained what the padawan's next moves should entail. He knew he would get through Cal eventually. But he was worried about his young padawan. Obsession

He kept saying, "You need to clear your mind" repeatedly, even though deep down he knew that his words would enter the eight-year-old's ear only to leave through the other.

This is how he found himself walking with his colleagues as they tried to find their missing padawans.

Meanwhile, the boy in question was huddled up with his fellow Padawans as one of the older kids spoke of a story he once overheard from another Jedi Master.

"Stop beating around the bush and just tell us!" One child his age exclaimed.

The older kid raised an eyebrow.

"Fine. If that's what you want."

A collective exclaim of relief projected from the younger kids.

"What was the story?" Cal asked in a quiet manner.

The older kid smiled. From his perspective, it contained warmth and innocence. But others could see the layer of mischief that lied underneath.

"I heard from a Jedi Master while they were visiting Urthha that they spoke to someone who told them stories of higher beings called Angels. Their physical bodies are invisible to mortals, us, so they take over a mortal body of their choosing to be able to walk alongside us!"

"Really?" Cal said. He unknowingly scooted closer to the boy.

"And... I heard they're so powerful they can smite who they please. Especially children who don't listen to their elders."

"Are you an elder?"

"Yes."

The boy who asked gasped.

"Which means you have to do what I tell you."

"Do you think I could learn more about this?" Cal asked, ignoring the side conversation.

"Not really."

Cal frowned.

"Oh." He said, trying not to show his disappointment. "Are there books about this?"

"I'm pretty sure you could only learn about these things from Urthha. Last I checked that Jedi Master is on another 'top secret mission'." The older boy said, exaggerating the last few words. "Why are you so curious Cal? Do you want to meet an angel?"

Just before Cal answered, he remembered how the boy just mentioned they could possess and turn a body into dust.

"I wouldn't," another child replied.

"CAL KESTIS!"

Cal gasped upon hearing his Master's voice and scrambled toward it, leaving behind any questions that he had. But those words spoken by the older boy would echo in his mind from time to time. And as he got older, they became nothing but whispers until he never thought about it again.