Chapter 4: Rabbit Hole

/ Washington D.C. /

/ POV: POA /

I'd glance over his shoulder at Madilyn, who still stood in the doorway, as if trying to disappear into the walls. "You're excused," I'd say swiftly. She gave a quick nod and scurried down the hallway, closing the door behind her and draping the room in shadow.

Refocusing my gaze on the personification behind the desk in front of me, I'd flash a million-dollar smile. "Pleasure seeing you again, America."

"State your business," the star-spangled country would say coolly. America's face was cast in shadow, deepening the bags under his eyes, which seemed to hold a bleak look to them. The vice president would recall a time when the country's eyes had shone bright and cheerful blue, before everything had started to go downhill. As a democracy in decline, the United States' well-being, both physical and emotional, heavily depended on that of his people. And, seeing that his nation was going up in flames from California to D.C., it made sense that the personification seemed about to pass out at any moment.

It didn't take a genius to realize that America wasn't in a great mood—though I liked to consider myself as such. However, my visit was not timed randomly, but at the perfect time to persuade a country who had a lot on his mind.

I'd ignore the country's harsh response to my greeting, and instead, with a voice as smooth and seemingly innocent as honey, slide the conversation in the direction of which I have so beautifully planned.

"You seem stressed," I'd say, putting on a look of fake sympathy. "As your vice President, it's my job to help—"

"Oh please," America interrupted. I'd see the country roll his eyes through his glasses. "When has my government actually wanted to help me?"

Though I was slightly bitter, having been interrupted, I let the personification continue his rambling.

"I bet you're no different than any of the other politicians that are driving this country into the ground." He spat out the words disdainfully, not making eye contact but instead adjusting the positioning of a pen on his desk that lay slightly askew. Then, in a more quiet tone that was rarely used by the striped country, he muttered, "Politicians are all talk and no action. You promise to fix my—I mean, this country's—problems, but all you want is fame and power."

I'd bite back a laugh, knowing America's words were entirely true. I had no care for whatever happened to the personification, as long as he stays in line when push comes to shove. I'd give a small, inaudible sigh. Comforting people was most certainly not my forte, but in the game of emotional manipulation I was king.

Leaning forwards in my chair, I'd choose my next words carefully. "As a matter of fact, America, I have just the plan to solve all of your problems. But..."

The personification's eyes darted back and forth behind his glasses. "But?" He waved his hand, urging me to continue speaking.

I'd grin at the suspense in America's eyes and posture. I had him on the rope—now all I needed to do was cut the line. "...but, I need you to think, America. What is the source of all your problems?"

The personification would huff, slouching back in his chair with a thud. "If only I knew. Russia and China and all those countries are a thorn in my side." He'd cast a wayward glance at me, seemingly unsure of his answer. "But what can I do about them anyways.."

I'd shake my head, giving a light tsk tsk tsk sound, as if I was a teacher scolding a child. "Oh, America, so naïveté." The country grimaced at this and opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. "The source of all your problems.. is your own people."

America's brow furrowed in confusion as to why the vice president, a politician elected by the people, would now be turning on his own electorate and blaming them for the country's problems.

"My—my people?" He'd finally say, his voice a whisper.

I'd cock a brow. "Must I repeat myself, United States?"

He'd look slightly bewildered. "No, not at all. But...if the people are the problem, then... how do we stop the problem?"

"What's been causing you all this pain, America? The headaches, the outbursts, the blackouts..." I'd tilt my head to one side. I felt as if I was reading breadcrumbs to a fish, or coaxing a scared puppy dog out from under a couch. But soon the fish would be in the net, the dog would be on the leash, and phase one of the plan would be complete.

"I—how did you know about that?!" the personification would exclaim, his tone accusatory.

"I have my ways, but that's unimportant. What both of us know is that your people—these protests—have been causing you unnecessary pain and suffering that you shouldn't have the responsibility of bearing." I'd remain notably vague in my phrasing. My hope was that America would come to the rather authoritarian decision of silencing protestors himself, as to relieve blame from myself and to get him comfortable, to say the least, with taking drastic measures. After all, controlling the country was merely the first step.

America would clasp his funds in front of them, hunched forward and resting his forearms on the desk. "What are you implying?" The country seemed to act oblivious, though I could tell, even from behind his glasses, that he knew all too well what had to be done to insure the security of his country.

"People...don't always know what's best for them," I'd say waving my hand in the air casually as if discussing the weather, and not the fate of the world's sole superpower. "Yet we do. Perhaps, for the sake of both you and your people, we can put to rest 'radical' ideas so America can renew its position on the global stage—and so your country can for once be at peace with itself."

America's eyes would shift back and forth—seemingly waging an internal battle of morals versus control. He'd fiddle with his jacket, and after what must have been a few minutes, the personification wearily extended his hand. "You have yourself a deal," he'd say with finality.

I'd eagerly shake his hand, a sinister grin crawling from the corners of my mouth. Everything was going to plan. Soon, I would have the presidency secured, and not long after, the world. 

- - - - 

A/N: Wow, that was a long chapter. (1069 words, nice). I plan to continue this sometime later, but certainly not today (tommorow?) as it's already past midnight and I need sleep. 

Anyhow, I certainly hope you enjoyed, and have a great day/night!

Time taken: ~1 hour 

- Catastrophicoconut