Chapter 8 - The Quest For Kousei's Sword (Part 1)

We had been traveling for two days, trying to find Naraku, with no luck. I was walking beside Sango and Kagome. The two of them and I had gotten quite close, close enough to call one another our best friends.

       "Sesshomaru carried you all the way back to camp after that fight with the Thunder Brothers," Kagome said, a playful tone in her voice. Sango giggled at her teasing remark. My face began to feel hot as I turned away from their direction, looking ahead at Inuyasha as he led the group through the woods.

       "So? It was just a kind gesture," I say quickly.

       "A kind gesture he never does!! Especially to a half-demon!" Sango spoke, elbowing me playfully. I smiled at what they were implying, but that couldn't have been the case. Could it...?

       "I doubt he meant it like that," I answered, glancing at them from the corner of my eyes.

       "But what if he did mean it like that?!" Kagome said, grabbing my arm and jumping up and down excitedly. Sango smiled and jumped with her. I giggled at their actions and sighed, shrugging. They stopped jumping as I began to speak.
       "Well... If he did mean it like that, I don't really know what I'd do..." I said softly, looking at the dirt path that was decorated with exposed tree roots, medium-sized stones and flattened grass mixed with dirt. Before Kagome and Sango could respond to my words, Inuyasha stopped walking. Everybody stopped and looked at him curiously.

       "Is something wrong, Inuyasha?" Kagome asked him, walking up to him and placing her hand on his shoulder. He looked up to the sky, and down from the clouds came a cow with someone on top of it. The cow had two white horns, was all brown, and 3 eyes that were completely white with black pupils for each. The old man had gray hair that was tied in a bushy ponytail, pointed ears, and he carried a sledgehammer with a long handle. He landed in front of us and grinned goofily at us.

       "Inuyasha! Great to see you!" He said, slowly getting off his flying cow.

       "Totosai, what're you doin' here?" Inuyasha asked, raising an eyebrow curiously at him.

       "I came to speak to the dragoness, Lord Kousei's daughter," Totosai responded, looking over to me. He walked over to me as the others watched intently.

       "Me? What do you want me for?" I asked, looking up at the old man.

       "Your father Kousei came to visit me. He wanted me to inform you of the sword he had forged when he had married Lady Kiyoko and when Lady Sasuke became his stepdaughter. It was going to go to Lady Sasuke, but since she has passed away, it has been inherited to you," Totosai explained, shifting the weight of the oversized sledgehammer in his hand.

       "Why wouldn't he just leave it with you to give to me?" I asked, putting my hand on my hip.
"All he told me was that he placed it in a special place, where you'll learn everything about yourself and your powers, along with how to use your powers and sword. Lord Kousei also told me the hint to where you need to go to retrieve the sword, if you wish to find the sword I will tell you the hint," Totosai explained, gently shutting his eyes. I nodded vigorously, studying the old man's face.

       "Yes, please!" I responded, leaning a bit closer to Totosai so I could hear him perfectly. After a moment, he spoke.

       "... I forgot..." He said calmly. I froze as Inuyasha strode up to the old man and hit his fist into his head. A bump formed on Totosai's head as he held where Inuyasha had punched him.

       "Come on, old man! Tell the girl where her damn sword is, stop being so stubborn," Inuyasha said sternly, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes at Totosai. Totosai sighed and nodded.
"I remember now..! This was the hint he gave me to tell you: "Where we used to be, where you were given a second stance, there lies the cliff where you must take a dive, take another chance,'" Totosai then got on his cow, preparing to take off again.