Wattpad Original

Ch 34: Interrupted Wrestling Match

The sun had risen about halfway above the horizon when I gave an owl-like proximity call. Regan shook his head and slipped into the bushes, still unsure about inviting Daniel out. Even though he'd won two of our three wrestling matches, it hadn't boosted his confidence levels.

"If it helps, he doesn't care about making his footsteps silent, so you can usually hear him coming," I told the shrubs where Regan hid.

The shrubs gave me about as much of a reply as I expected, so I picked a hiding place where the dirt trail entered a clearing. It was a toss-up whether Daniel would use the path that allowed him more space and time to react or if he'd opt to walk beside the trail in case we had set up a trap.

We had circled this area for almost an hour while using various plant extracts to amplify our trails. At this point, our scent was ingrained in this part of the forest and would make it impossible for Daniel to determine which trail was more recent.

I doubted Regan would try ambushing Daniel first, which would also explain why he chose the spot he did. His position would let him watch and give him openings to join in. I just hoped he didn't wait too long, because Daniel wouldn't waste much time before pinning me.

A few dry leaves ahead crackled. I peered between the dense leaves as Daniel walked through the bushes to the side of the trail. He gazed around without any obvious concern, as if he were just taking a leisurely stroll instead of trying to trigger a Nightstalker's ambush.

When he faced the other way, I moved my sunglasses away from the tiny gap. My warning to Regan hadn't been in jest. I knew from past experience just how keen a Terror's vision was during the day. If the half-risen sun hadn't been fighting to dissipate the predawn gloom lingering under the canopy, he probably would have spotted my furtive peeking.

I remained crouched out of sight as he strolled past my hiding spot. This was the best opening I was going to get... I darted between the shrubs and soundlessly launched myself at his back. Midair, I saw the barest traces of my shadow flicker across the trees in front of him.

Daniel spun out of the way as I flew past him with a frustrated growl. He sidestepped into the clearing to give himself more room—right in front of Regan's hiding spot.

When I charged forward, Daniel shifted to the side, light on his feet and knowing his knees and ankles were my usual target. A dark grey form lunged out of the shrubs at Daniel's back. He caught the movement out of the corner of his eye and pivoted, avoiding Regan's ambush.

I immediately lunged at Daniel's knees with a sharp growl, forcing him to skip back as he eyed up his two adversaries. Regan disappeared into the greenery, leaving me in the middle of the meadow. How thoughtful of him.

But his invisible presence still gave me some leverage and a few new tricks. I circled closer, barely out of arm's reach, and turned my head slightly to the side. Daniel immediately dodged the non-existent attacker. I took the opportunity to tackle him.

He twisted away from my hands and snagged my wrists. I snarled as I realized he had been waiting for such a trick and used it to lure me into his trap. When he started to pull me closer, I swung my legs up, actually connecting with his ribs.

As I fell to the ground, he dropped to one knee to avoid forfeiting his grip on my wrists. My back hit the grass, and I struggled against his greater strength as he tried to get proper leverage to pin me. Footsteps raced out of the bushes behind Daniel. His eyes widened, and I paused as we both realized they were too fast for Regan.

A furious snarl split the air, and Daniel barely had time to skip to his feet before a blonde-haired zombie crashed into him like a freight train. I scrambled off the ground as Daniel managed to free himself from his attacker and kicked away, regaining his footing quickly enough. He barely had time to brace his feet before the Terror from Yersin Stronghold charged again.

The Virus Within: Secrets Unraveled (Book 5)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें