Wattpad Original

Ch 16: Danger In The Dark

Daniel stopped the truck as the sky began to darken. "Yersin Stronghold will be down this road, beside the larger lake. My radio is turned on in case you need me or want to relay information."

I jumped out of the back and handed back the map I'd been studying. "I won't go close until it's completely dark out. It's a pity it stopped raining an hour ago. The rain would have given me some nice cover. You're sure the lab is in the east wing of the building?"

"Unless they moved it or expanded their setup again, yes."

I couldn't think of any other questions I hadn't asked during our drive here. The coniferous forests around here were perfect for a Nightstalker to sneak through. The light had almost faded to the point where Daniel would need his flashlight, so there wasn't enough time for him to run a lap around the Stronghold.

With the gas mask hanging from my backpack, I entered the trees, keeping my eyes, ears, and nose on high alert. Any humans should have retreated inside their walls some time ago, but I'd come across a few who weren't scared of the dark and the zombies it might hold.

A couple of zombies meandered along the road. I snuck up behind them and confirmed there was no metallic undertone. So far, so good... At least this place wasn't spraying massive areas indiscriminately or targeting every zombie they came across. Still, I moved away from the road and proceeded with caution.

As I got closer to where the large lake was supposed to be, I made a wide circle to the downwind side of where the Stronghold should be. The smell of old blood made me pause. Human blood. And a lot of it.

I quickly darted through the undergrowth to get a better read on the wind. The smell of water intensified, and soon, a lake appeared ahead. Remaining in the shelter of the trees, I took a deep breath, but I couldn't pick up any recent scents from a living human.

Edging closer to the shore, I peered through the shrubs. It was easy to spot the Stronghold at the end of the lake even though there weren't any lights in the windows or above the guard posts. I didn't think it was a trap, but I carefully dug through all the scents regardless.

The most recent human scent was over two weeks old. No livestock remained, at least not alive. More than forty zombies were present, but half of them didn't have a definable rank.

I narrowed my eyes as I checked the scents as best I could from a distance. Most vaguely smelled like Runners, and one reminded me of the gremlin Regan and I fought last night. There was one other zombie scent though, and it made my instincts shift in a fashion I hadn't felt in years.

Freeing my radio from my belt, I held it to my lips. "Daniel, did this place have a Terror?"

"Not that I heard of, and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of it. The only other sane Terror we know of in North America is on the east coast. Why?"

"I think your friends bit off more than they could chew. I want to get closer, but I need to know if you have ever been able to hear my footsteps when I try to move silently."

It was a question I'd never asked before, but he answered readily enough. "No. Watch your breathing though. I hear that more often than I hear your footsteps."

I committed that useful tidbit of information to memory. "Thanks. I'm heading in. If it spots me, I'm hoping it recognizes zombie rules."

"Stay safe."

I turned my radio volume all the way down just in case he tried contacting me for some unfathomable reason. I really didn't want this zombie to notice my presence until I had a chance to scope him out.

As I crept closer, it became apparent that the Stronghold was in shambles. Human-sized holes marred most buildings and more than a few windows had been broken as if something had taken a shortcut. At least a dozen zombies wandered up and down the streets. None were the one I was searching for.