"Which means I'm stuck on guard duty again," Nicky said with a heavy sigh. "I offered to drive the truck for him, but he claims he wants to collect blood samples from any unranked he passes."

"If you stay near the gate," Nina said, "you'll be able to keep an eye on the lab. You could dig more pitfall traps outside the fence or build a cage on a trailer like you did at Graydon."

Nicky rolled her eyes. "I'm not a gopher, and I'm not about to dance in a cage for ferals when they keep stealing Trinity's hoodies. If they're that fast, those cages might not keep them out, and there's an equally good chance that Regan might lock me inside if I annoy him again."

Regan looked faintly amused, not denying the claim.

"Such a cage would be helpful," Nina prodded. "Even giving the regular zombies a dose of controlex will reduce the risk."

"If we were truly worried about the risk," Regan began, "then you would use the cure. It is faster and would completely remove the zombie virus."

Nina nodded. "Yes, but that leaves the former ferals comatose, and they die within days if not reinfected. I'd hate for any to die when we have a tentative lead on something that might help the regular zombies regain their sanity."

"Oh?" Regan asked, finally showing real interest in the conversation.

Nina gestured to Wren. "Her blood holds the key, at least if the zombies haven't eaten flesh or humans. I just need more time to figure things out because the original serum isn't stable enough to be a long-term solution. The batch Wren and Jax got in the barn was different from what the main group dispersed, and it was the only batch that allowed some to regain their sanity."

Nicky glanced between Wren and Nina. "Are both batches breaking down at a similar rate?"

"It will be very close because the chemical mixtures were similar, and their bodies are breaking them down at comparable rates."

"Why are zombie apocalypses so frustrating?" Nicky groaned, rolling her head back to stare at the sky.

Daniel snorted lightly. "Not as frustrating as when you get into the tea or coffee."

Nicky lifted her head and flashed a smile in his direction. "Admit it, life would be so boring without me."

"There's a wide gap between peaceful and boring," Nina mumbled. In a louder voice, she said, "Trinity, do you mind going back to Yersin Stronghold once Daniel returns from Graydon? There are mentions of another journal that isn't in the boxes." Nina hesitated, then added, "It's—it's probably in one of Gerald's pockets."

I frowned, more concerned about a particular zombie than in patting down a half-decomposed corpse. "How soon do you need it? The controlex won't be finished until tomorrow night, and I'd rather not cross paths with that Terror until then."

"It can wait a couple days," she quickly reassured me. "Please be careful when you go. I'm not sure how the controlex would have affected Ethan since his triggers are so different."

I didn't recall seeing that name in the journal, but it had probably been recorded elsewhere. It was definitely like Nina to call a zombie by name, even if they were a feral.

"What sort of cage are you trying to build?" Regan asked.

"Something we can put on a trailer and strong enough to keep zombies out," Nina replied. "The one we built at Graydon was cobbled out of spare metal bars. It has to be fairly large so people inside can use syringes on sticks to inject the controlex without the zombies reaching them."

"Then we splash soapy water in their faces to get them off the cage!" Nicky exclaimed.

Regan regarded the redhead for a long moment before turning his gaze back to Nina. "There was a truck in town with corral panels in the back. The steel bar kind. The gaps would need something over them, but it could be used to build a frame."