Ch 18: Secrets In The Yersin Lab

Start from the beginning

I picked up a vial labeled "Cure" and read the sticker on the side. Two years ago, the labs had decided to use universal labeling for the zombie drugs, so I was quite certain these were the original tried-and-true mixtures that Nina had developed. The vial had been created twenty-seven days ago.

I glanced at the dead man, only now noticing a loaded syringe near his hands. He hadn't been fast enough, and after watching the Terror take out the Nightstalker with as much effort as someone swatting a mosquito, I was quite certain I wasn't fast enough to get the needle into his skin. Even if I did, his retaliation would probably leave me with serious injuries.

But perhaps speed wasn't the answer...

The second table held two vials of controlex, and I took both of them. The cure wasn't effective if taken orally, but it had been proven several times that the controlex could be ingested and still work properly.

I doubted Daniel and I could kill this zombie without one of us getting badly injured, but if nothing else, I could minimize the risk to humans. The controlex wouldn't completely remove the threat he possessed, but at least he'd only go after livestock and other animals. Humans would be safer.

I grabbed a couple of syringes and quickly checked the other rooms without finding anything zombie-related. When I picked up the tote bins, the briefcase on top shifted. I frowned and set the pile back down.

It took some clever packing to wedge the briefcase into the third tote bin, but at least I didn't have to worry about it falling off while I ran through the forest. The Terror was still in the zombie room, so I grabbed the tote bins and exited the building through a large hole in the wall that matched the Terror's size.

As soon as I was outside, I removed the gas mask, relieved to have my sense of smell back. Halfway through the Stronghold, familiar steps shuffled after me. Blast it! I wasn't ready for him yet!

I began running for the fence and went through a different damaged section. The last thing I needed was him tracking my trail back to the truck. I set the bins to the side and darted into the forest as I fervently searched for any small animal.

A fat vole rustling through the leaves would have to suffice since I could hear the fencing rattle, which was likely my follower stumbling through the opening. I grabbed the small rodent and snapped its neck.

My fingers flew as I loaded the syringe with far more controlex than was needed, preferring to err on the side of caution in case some dripped out. Even as the crackling of leaves and twigs drew closer, I injected the controlex into several spots in the oversized mouse.

"Feel like a snack?" I asked conversationally, making sure he knew where I was and also trying to get him to slow down so he wasn't making too much noise to hear a flying mouse.

He was smart enough to hold his hands out in front of him as he walked, which prevented him from blundering into a tree trunk. His precautions didn't alert him to the knee-high shrub in front of him. After a momentary stumble, he pushed his way through it without issue. He might not be able to see the shrub or his feet, but his reaction speed made him unfortunately graceful.

I idly wondered if Daniel was just as capable and played down his skills in case trouble ever showed up and thought it knew what to expect. Daniel hated moving in the dark though, and this zombie didn't seem overly bothered by it, even when his head clipped tree branches.

The overpowered Terror slowed down as he got closer, once again focused on my eyes and sniffing the air. When he stopped, I lobbed the vole through the air, aiming for his shoulder in case he didn't hear it.

"Catch."

He blinked at me, and as the vole touched a leaf mid-flight, his gaze darted in that direction. His eyes narrowed in concentration as his hand came up and snatched the mouse out of the air.