Korean Lesson 2

CONSONANTS

안녕하세요 ! So in the last lesson, we learned how to read hangul vowels , and in this lesson , we will go over the hangul consonants and sounds . Now , keep in mind that some of these sounds are different from the ones we make in our English speech ! Here we go ..

Common consonants

ㅇ - silent (this has some exceptions that will be explained later)

ㄱ - g  This 'ㄱ' makes a light 'g/k' sound / say the word kill, but instead of pushing the 'k' out completely, make the sound softer .

ㄴ - n  This makes the regular 'n' sound . no worries here, no need to alter the way this sound in English.

ㄷ - d  This makes a light 'd' sound . it sounds almost like a T but not as hard either.

ㄹ -l/r  Now if you live in the United states (I don't know about other places) A lot of schools ha Spanish as one of its mandatory languages to learn. This 'ㄹ' sounds similar to the Spanish 'r' just not emphasized as much. There are a few exceptions to this consonant, but we'll get to that later.

ㅁ - m  sometimes this ㅁ may sound something like a muffled 'b' sound (if that makes sense). But don't worry, if you hear this, it is only a dialect. Koreans don't notice the way they pronounce the 'm' because of their dialect!

ㅂ - b  This consonant here sounds in between a light 'p' sound and a light 'b' sound. It isn't as emphasized as the 'p' and 'b' in English!

ㅅ - s  In some cases, this 'ㅅ' sounds like s light 's' sound and in other cases it also makes a 'sh' sound. There are exceptions to this consonant, those will be explained later on in this lesson.

ㅈ - j  Here, you would say this lightly also, it would sound in between a 'ch' sound and a 'j' sound. IT IS NOT AS HEAVY AS 'CH'!

THE NEXT SET OF VOWELS I AM LISTING HERE ARE JUST LIKE SOUNDS IN ENGLISH!

ㅊ - CH  This is where it is okay to sound more emphasized, just like in English, this sounds like the 'ch' in the word chocolate no changes needed.

ㅋ - k  This makes the 'k' sound. Just like you would say kitchen is how you would pronounce this consonant.

ㅌ - T  Here, it also sounds like the English 't'.

ㅍ - p Just say the word people and there ya go.

ㅎ - h Don't get mixed up if you see this written with just a line over the top and another small line coming vertically out of that line. Makes the 'h' sound like in the word happy  !

WHEN THIS IS AT THE END OF A WORD/SYLLABLE, IT IS SOMEWHAT SILENT.

EXCEPTIONS

ㅇ (silent)

This consonant is silent unless at the end of a word/syllable . example: 안녕 (annyeong) notice that here there is a ㅇ in the beginning and one also in the end . in the beginning, you would ignore this consonant (just think of it as an accessory) . But at the end, it will ALWAYS make the 'ng' sound. Like in the word 'bang' or 'running' .

Example words:

안녕 - annyeong

화이팅 - hwaiting

공 - gong

(Don't worry about the meanings of these just yet)

ㄹ - l/r

I mentioned that this sounds similar to the rolling 'r' sound in Spanish speech, but that applies to certain positions and places of this letter.