Do You Know the Enemy?: Steve Rogers x Avenger!Reader

Start from the beginning

"YN?" He murmured, his large hands falling onto her shoulders, but the woman couldn't look away from the figure across the street. Her eyes were met by another, and she felt the crushing weight of fear completely overtake her body. Her hands shook by her side as she took a step forward, her feet moving on their own accord. 

Steve watched helplessly as YN was taken by her instincts, the team knowing it was no use trying to get through to her. "What is she seeing?" Sam asked, looking around the streets helplessly. 

"Whatever it is, it's scaring her." Natasha added, her fingers intertwined with YN's, trying to ground her before she could spiral further. 

YN watched as the figure across the road turned, her eyes widening as they started to walk away. Ripping her hand clean from Natasha's grip, YN took off after them, alarming her friends. She sprinted through traffic, often jumping over the hoods of cars and pivoting around people as she ensured her eyes never left the retreating figure. 

She managed to quickly lose her team to the bustling streets of New York, too caught up in navigating her own way through the crowds. Managing to slip behind a building into an alley, YN jumped up onto a ladder, scaling the side of the building to the roof. Her eyes surveyed the ground, praying she would find the figure she had lost. 

Eventually, she felt a presence behind her, her fear spiking to an all time high. Spinning on her heel she came face to face with her stalker, her heart dropping into her stomach. 

"What are you doing here?" She whispered, fear echoing into each word. "How- How did you get here?" 

The woman laughed, and YN couldn't help but shrink in fear. "You called for me." 

"No." YN shook her head, her fists curled so tight she could feel her nails breaking into her skin. 

"Yes," she said, a sly grin lifting her cheeks. "The other night, you called for help. Here I am." 

Please, God. Please I need some help. 

"I didn't- I didn't mean you." YN stuttered, her entire frame trembling. 

Mutabilis. 

"No." YN said again, stepping back and closer to the edge of the building. "Not you." 

"Yes, me." YN shook violently as her own face pouted condescendingly before a sinister smile overtook its features. YN couldn't believe that she had called for the Changeling. She had been so close to dying that her instincts had taken control. 

YN was the offspring of a very powerful witch and a high sorcerer. She had been born within months of being conceived, her power growing too strong for her mother to bear. Her birth had killed her mother instantly, and YN's soul had been ripped into pieces. To conserve her true form, her father had sent each piece of her soul into a universe where YN was not meant to exist, and due to her connections with each fragment, YN had her memory wiped of all memories of her father and mother, until recently. 

The most recent mission was a lot more harsh of YN and her mind, effectively restoring every memory. Her mind had unconsciously called for some part of her to return. Now, staring at the scary grin on her doppelganger's face, she knew that she who had answered, was not here to help.

"You've definitely secured yourself here, sister."  The changeling snarled, and YN swallowed, stepping even closer to the edge in fear. "You are far better off than a lot of us." 

"There... there are more of you?" YN whispered, hating that she could hear her voice waiver. "Here?" 

"There... were more of us." The changeling cocked her head, releasing a tired sigh that YN saw straight through. "I made sure to take care of it." 

Closing her eyes, YN released the tight curl of her fists, her palms facing out toward the city where she directed her magic. The silent cry for help echoed through the streets, and she prayed one of her friends could hear. 

"You've come to... 'take care' of me too?" YN asked, trying to school her features as she continued to send her distress signal. "Why?" 

"Don't you see?" She snapped, lurching forward and grabbing YN by the throat, effectively cutting of the signal as YN closed her fist around the changeling's wrist. "We are all pieces of the one soul," YN tensed as the hand tightened, cutting her oxygen flow entirely. "We are meant to be one." 

YN's eyes bulged as the changeling lifted her with ease, her body now swaying on the edge of the high rise. Closing her eyes, YN reigned her focus in as her hands remained against the strangely smooth skin of her doppelganger. The changeling hissed as her skin started to ripple under YN's palms, before it marred into a scorned brown colour, the surface burning like lava. 

Unexpectedly, the changeling laughed, although YN could see the pain as she tensed her jaw. "We will be one again." YN screeched as she was dropped, her body immediately falling from the building. 

She didn't fall for long before her body was caught, Sam's aura immediately calming her nerves. "Took you long enough." YN huffed, albeit clasping Sam's shoulders tightly. 

"You're the one who ran off, Trick." Sam muttered in return, flying them back to the roof where YN's changeling was now facing Steve and Natasha. 

"Are you alright, Trick?" Natasha called, her gun aimed at the person that very much looked like her friend, but didn't at the same time. Her smile was sinister, her eyes slanted in a glare. The changeling's skin was smooth and pale, nearly throwing a grey tinge as she stood in the light. But most of all, YN could now see that on the back of her neck were very specific symbols. 

YN used her friend's distraction to grab onto the changeling, her palm completely covering her face as the being seized in her arms. Now knowing exactly what universe the being had manifested from, it was easy enough for her to work out a way to expel her from this one. 

"Redi domum, geminae. Non enim hic es recipiendus." (Return home, twin. For you are not welcome here.) The changeling buckled once YN had muttered a spell under breath, the changelings form quickly evaporating before their eyes. 

YN stumbled forward, landing in Steve's comforting arms as the magic drained her body of energy. "Hi," she murmured, her face now pressed against her fiancé's chest. 

"Hi, sweetheart." Steve chuckled, hoisting her into his arms as she started to lose consciousness. "Good work today." 

"Go team." She muttered, quickly falling asleep. Finally free of the worry and fear she had felt over the last few days. 

"Is anyone going to ask questions?" Sam gawked, still staring at the mark where the changeling's body had disappeared into. 

"Later," Natasha chuckled. "Let's get her home first."