If It Ain't Love: Bruce Banner x Engineer!Reader

YN's head hit the desk below her loudly, a groan of both pain and annoyance tumbling from her lips. She had been working on this project for weeks, always having it build up to a climax before ending with a disappointing fizzle and a pout on her lips.

"This is more disappointing that the sex I had in college." YN muttered, tossing the screw driver on the bench as Tony laugh across the lab. "Don't laugh, Stark. I can almost guarantee you'd be worse."

Tony gasped in offense, lifting a hand to his chest before smirking. "Guess you'll have to find out." YN rolled her eyes as she got to her feet, stretching out her back and moaning as it cracked.

"Still no luck then?" Bruce asked from his own desk, his glasses pushed up his nose and his eyebrows furrowed as he leant over his own project. YN shook her head as she waltzed over to him, leaning next to him and cocking her head. She lifted a hand a ran it through the brunettes long locks, hiding a smirk as his cheeks flushed.

"You need a haircut." YN mumbled, still toying with the strands. Bruce nodded in agreement, the air surrounding them growing thick with tension. Tony didn't even bat an eyelid from the other side of the room, completely accustomed to the pair of friends' weird dynamic.

The rest of the day consisted of YN making loud noises of disapproval from her work place, cursing everyone out (except Bruce, Tony noted) whenever they tried to make conversation with her. So much so, that when Steve walked in with a large smile on his face, she shouted at him to 'take his overly friendly ass, turn it around, walk it upstairs and park it somewhere else.' Steve was jarred to say the least.

"Somebody's cranky." Tony commented, earning a warning glare from his male colleague.

"Somebody needs to shut up." YN replied around the screw driver in her mouth, her arms elbow deep in the contraption in front of her. Tony laughed as YN squeaked, having been zapped, once again, by the connecting wires. YN sighed, collapsing into a chair behind her. "Tony, I don't have enough middle fingers, to show you how I really feel about you."

"Real nice, sweetheart." Tony chuckled, immersing himself once again in his project.

YN decided to take a break, getting to her feet and nodding to Bruce who followed suit. Tony shouted his coffee request to the two of them, knowing that's where they'd be going, making YN roll her eyes as she stomped up the steps of the compound.

"Sometimes I wish we had a wall, separating us from him." YN muttered below her breath, walking into the kitchen and thanking all that were listening that no one was in there.

"That reactor is really giving you a headache today, huh?" Bruce asked, slipping behind the smaller woman, placing his hands on her hips to aid his movements. YN nodded, gripping his hands before they could move and leaning back in his embrace, making the man chuckle against her back.

"I just need quiet for a second," she whispered, closing her eyes as she relaxed against the taller man. Bruce complied, wrapping his arms around her middle and resting his chin on her shoulder. YN sighed, feeling her mood lift slightly being so close to Bruce, as it always did. "You think, maybe, when we go downstairs you could help me?" YN murmured, feeling slightly insecure asking for help.

"Of course, sweetheart." Bruce said, smacking a kiss to the top of her head as he resumed his movements toward the coffee pot. "Whatever you need."

YN nodded, smiling shyly as she lifted a hand to her mouth, nibbling on her short fingernails. She stayed silent as Bruce made their coffee, handing YN her mug that he'd gotten her for Christmas nearly four years ago. Heading back downstairs, YN sucked in a calming breath, knowing it was no use being crabby as it rarely got her further than an argument with Tony.

"Thanks, man." Tony commended off-handedly, his hunched figure curling even further as he remained enthralled in his work. Bruce nodded, coming to sit by YN who glared at the mess in front of her.

"Come on, maybe all you need is a fresh set of eyes." YN sighed, rubbing her eyes and wheeling her chair over slightly so Bruce could situate himself in front of her project. YN watched him start to fiddle with the wiring, her eyes glossing over as he too became completely engrossed in what he was doing.

YN had always found the way Bruce worked enrapturing, his attention never wavering from the movements his hands were making. YN licked her lips as inappropriate thoughts entered her mind, her face flushing as she forced them away. Bruce remained unaware as he murmured small victories under his breath, catching the woman off guard when he smiled brightly.

"I think I got it!" He exclaimed, turning to the woman who was already grinning at him, not even slightly aware of how he'd fixed her problem.

"Of course you did," Tony chuckled, winking at YN who scowled.

"Remind me to kill you, please." YN smiled sarcastically, laughing as Tony's mouth dropped

"Lovely, no wonder you're single." Tony snarked, earning two frowns of confusion from YN and Bruce.

"What?" YN chuckled, swapping a glance with the brunette. "I'm not single?"

"You aren't?" YN shook her head at Tony's question, in disbelief the brunette could be so oblivious. "Well, who are you dating? Do I know him?"

"Tony," Bruce said, frown growing even deeper. "You know YN and I have been dating for nearly three years, right?" He said, releasing a nervous chuckle.

"What?" Tony gasped, jumping to his feet. "No way, no fucking way!" YN shook her head again, sending Tony a strange look. "I thought you two were like... just weirdly close friends? You don't... kiss and do normal couple things."

"That you see?" YN responded, getting to her feet and crossing her arms. "Why would we feel the need to do that stuff in your presence?"

"J.A.R.V.I.S, ask everyone in the tower if they knew YN and Bruce were dating." Tony called, the other two room occupants groaning in protest.

"Consensus says that 75% of the tower were unaware of the couple, Sir." YN frowned, yet again swapping a look with her boyfriend.

Shaking her head in frustration, YN threw her hands up. "How we portray our relationship is no one's business anyway." She huffed, scooping up Bruce's hand as she checked the time. "We are going back to our shared apartment, because we sleep in the same bed." YN accentuated, dragging the chuckling man behind her. "Goodnight, Tony."

The couple stepped onto the snowy streets of New York, a strangely uncomfortable silence between them. YN had a crease between her eyebrows as she frowned, her glare directed at the cement below her that was dusted in wet layer of frost.

"You're comfortable, with our relationship, right?" She finally asked, making Bruce frown in concern. "You think we are... couply enough, yeah?" Bruce sighed, lifting an arm and wrapping it around the smaller woman's shoulders.

"Of course, baby." He whispered, kissing her cheek that was slowly turning red with the cold. "I love you and I love us, whatever shape we come in."

Nodding, YN sighed in relief, snuggling into her boyfriend's arms with a smile. "I love you too."