Half a Man: Bucky Barnes x Baker!Reader

Um this song makes me cry. I recommend listening to it whilst reading this for the FULL effect, ya know? anyway.... 

YN whistled to herself as she mixed the bowl in front of her, the sweet smell of chocolate filling the air around her. Music drifted from a speak nearby, the soft melody of one of her favorite songs painting a smile on her face.

The week had been great, business had been booming and her mother had been doing really well, despite being in hospice. YN felt as though there was nothing the world could throw at her at this moment that she wouldn't be able to handle.

Her phone charmed and her grin stretched even wider. She wiped her hands down her apron, making sure they were free of any ingredients before lifting the phone so she could unlock the screen. The message that sat there confused her, unable to really read the context in the few words she'd received.

We need to talk. -BB

Swallowing, YN convinced herself that everything was fine. Bucky had always been to the point with his messages, not really fluffing them up at all. They had been seeing each other for a few months, ever since he had stumbled in through her front door, begging her to make a cake for his best friend.

"We're closed." YN had grimaced, placing her belongings into the bag.

"Your doors open." His eyebrow had risen and YN had thought the movement was enthralling on his handsome face, his blue eyes boring into her own from across the room. "Please, this is really important."

"If you give me the order, I can get it done in the morning-"

"I need it tonight, please. I got messed around by the other baker and I just..." He'd sighed, rubbing his forehead. "This guy is really important to me and I have so much to thank him for and I don't want his birthday to be a complete failure."

YN had let out a harsh breath, looking around her spotless kitchen after a busy day. Independence Day always ended with YN breathing a sigh of relief, thankful for the business but also thankful that it was over by 5pm.

"Alright," YN nodded, setting down her backpack. "Just a simple vanilla cake?" She questioned, tying her apron around her waist as Bucky nodded frantically, pulling his wallet out and handing her a wad of cash. "This is-"

"Please, keep it. You're doing me a massive favor."

YN smiled at the memory, quickly responding to Bucky that she would meet him at his apartment when she finished her last order of the night. Bucky had stayed with her that night, watching her put together the ingredients for Steve's birthday, completely immersed in her technique, which also made YN's heart flutter.

Finally placing the cake in the oven, she turned to one of her employees that was entering the kitchen. "Hey, Jules." YN smiled, her cheeks filling with the motion. "When that's cooled, just wrap it and put it in the cool room, I'll decorate it in the morning."

Jules nodded as YN removed her apron, washed her hands and gathered her belongings. "See you in the morning, boss."

"Goodnight, Jules." YN waved, wrapping her coat tighter around her body as stepped onto the street, the air slowly getting cooler as it creeped up to Christmas.

YN knocked on the familiar door, stepping back as he mouth tilted in a small smile, eager to see the man that had occupied her thoughts for majority of her days. The door opened and her smile grew friendly as the blonde man returned the gesture.

"Hi Steve!" YN said, stepping into his embrace. "Is Buck here?" Steve nodded, his smile looking a little strained.

"In his room, YN." YN nodded, trying not to look too much into either the text she'd received or the look on Steve's face. Walking up the hall, YN turned the knob, pushing it open with a small knock.

The room was small, it always had been. YN, at first, had found it jarring that the man she was intimate was living in the same house he had lived in when he was a teenager, back in the 30's.

"Buck?" YN whispered, sitting next to the hunched figure on the bed. "Are you okay?" Bucky shook his head, causing the woman's stomach to tie in knots. "Do you want to talk about it?"

The brunette turned to YN, shocking her with the sad expression on her face. YN grabbed his hands that shook lightly in his lap, one heavier than the other. YN waited for a while, allowing Bucky to sort out his words before he opened his mouth.

"I love you." He whispered, immediately looking like he regretted speaking the words into existence. YN bit her lip, looking down to their conjoined her lap with a small chuckle.

"I, uh... I love-"

"Don't." YN frowned as Bucky retracted his hands from hers, the woman blinking in confusion as he got to his feet. "Don't give your heart to me."

"What? Bucky?"

"You shouldn't... Don't say it." YN shook her head, also standing to try and console the increasingly agitated man. "No, YN. Please." YN nodded, knowing that it was no use overwhelming the super soldier when he was in such a state. "How am I supposed to love you, when I don't love who I am?" He whispered, turning away from the woman as she clenched her teeth, her mouth wobbling as the man she was in love with put himself down.

"Bucky," YN said, her voice wavering as tears built in her eyes. "I can help you, we can do this together."

"No, YN. I'm beyond help, you don't understand." YN tried really hard to stop the tears from falling, lifting her hand to cover her mouth. "I shouldn't have told you I loved you, but I need you to know that I would and will do anything to make sure you're happy."

"Then stop this, baby." YN sobbed, trying to suck in a breath to calm herself down. "You make me happy, just let yourself have this."

"How can I give you all of me, YN? When I'm only half a man?" Bucky whispered, turning back to her with an equally shattered look on his face.

"Don't do this, please." YN cried, gripping her chest as if it would stop her heart falling from it and onto Bucky's carpet.

"It's already done, YN." Bucky responded, quietly stepping away from her even though he itched to console her, knowing she was probably breaking to a million pieces. "It's better this way. For you, for..." Bucky cleared his throat, knowing his next words were a lie. "For the both of us."

YN's bottom lip continued to shake as she walked toward the bedroom door, her entire body burning to run to him and cling to his body until he took it back. Instead, she rested her hand on the knob, pausing for a moment. "I could have loved you enough for the both of us." She whispered, pulling the door open and running down the hall, barreling past a somber looking Steve who tried to stop her from leaving in such a state.

The blonde super soldier, settled on the couch, flinching as he heard Bucky cry out in pain, the sounds of his furniture being destroyed making Steve sigh sadly.  

Do I do a part two or leave it sad? TELL ME BECAUSE I CANNOT DECIDE