Prologue

I've watched her from afar, for days now, I can't explain why, but I did. It was as if a distant voice called me to that isolated sheep farm in New Zealand, back in the winter of 1975.

"It's a girl!" She exclaimed.

Yuck, how can a girl like her help with the disgusting birth of a sheep?

"Dad, Dad can I name her?"

"Of course you can," her father responded with a kind chuckle.

"I will call her Lucy!"

"Rosma!" Her mother called. "Come set the table!"

"But, Mom I want to stay with Lucy the little lamb," she wined.

"Now, now Rosma listen to Mom and Lucy will still be here after breakfast," her father scolded.

"Fine," she agreed grumpily. "I'm coming Mom!"

I watched her as she stomped out of the barn, and shortly after her father left too then it were just me alone with the mother sheep, and Lucy.

The barking of one of the many sheep dogs startled me.

I'm still invincible so the mutt must be able to smell me.

"Barbra, be quiet!" The father yelled.

The mutt, 'Barbra,' walked away with a whine.

I switched my focus back to the little lamb, Lucy.

"You sure bring a lot of happiness, don't you?" I questioned the dumb lamb my evil voice filled the otherwise silent barn. "Just like, Scruffy did for me, but then the opposite can also be true."

I suffocated the new lamb with a plastic bag.

"And just like you came into this world you leave it just as fast."

"Mom, can I go play with Lucy after I finish helping you with the dishes?" Rosma asked her mother, when they were almost done with the dishes.

"Yes, dear," she said kindly, placing a hand on her swollen stomach.

"Thank you, thank you!"

"Remember Rosma you can play outside but in the afternoon you must come inside for you still have to finish that chapter we started yesterday," her father interrupted sternly. "Can't be falling behind with your English, now can you?"

"I promise Daddy, I will complete my English today."

With dishes washed, dried and put away she couldn't get out of the house faster to go play with Lucy.

It wasn't long after that a horrified scream could be heard and both of her parents immediately rushed to their daughter's side to see what was the commotion. I followed them knowing what the matter was.

"Why, why, why," Rosma cried, crouching by the lamb's side. "I was just here and she was ok, she was ok."

"Rosma let me see what is wrong," her father comforted her as he checked on the lamb. "She is gone sweetie, but this isn't your fault, these things just happen."

"No, no, no, no, no."

The mutt must've smelled me for it came running and barked at me again.

Shit, I'm too close yet again.

"Barbra, be quiet!" The mother scolded the dog. "Here is nothing to bark for!"