𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

"Captains are Sarah and Aubree!" Nate spoke out loudly so everyone could hear. People started getting closer either to see what was happening or to get in the teams.

"Rock, paper, scissors, for first pick?" Sarah spoke as Aubree nodded.

They played, Sarah, getting first pick and smiling to herself turning to the group of people to pick.
"I pick..." She looked around at everyone and made eye contact with her least favorite Sturniolo.

She looked right past him to his brother.
"Matt," She said looking over at Aubree.

Chris knew something like this was gonna happen but he was still shocked. She always picked him first, always.

"Oh! I always take Matt," Aubree rolled her eyes as she watched Matt high-five her cousin. "I pick Nate," She said a little disappointed as he laughed.

"Wow, thanks babe," Nate joked as Aubree laughed.

They kept picking until there were two people left Nick and Chris.

It was Sarah's turn to pick, Chris stared at her. Nick was a notoriously bad player and Chris was decent. The only right option was to puck the younger brother-

"I pick Nick," She said quickly as Chris stood there dumbfounded and Nick cheered.

"Oh yeah!" He screamed as he settled between his brother and Alahna who were laughing at him. Chris walked over to Aubree's team and that is when he noticed who was there too.

Luke Alexander; Sarah's ex.
Even his last name is annoying.

"Bro! Long time no see!" Luke smiled and patted Chris' back.

"Yeah," He looked at the other team where his two brothers, Sarah and Alahna were and sighed.

──────

The game was tied and frankly, Sarah was frustrated, she hated the thought of losing, especially if her ex-best friend was on the opposing team. Oh and her ex.

"I serve," Sarah said as she grabbed the ball and headed backward. As soon as she hit it she ran back to her spot and waited, after a good 5 minutes of playing, She ended up spiking the ball right in front of Chris' face causing their team to win.

"Oh my goodness! We won!" She screamed laughing out loud as she hugged Matt who had been her most helpful teammate all game. He spun her around as Chris watched them. She then hugged everyone else.

"Who is ready for s'mores?!" Nate asked as he noticed the people who were watching instead of playing set up the bonfire.

Everyone settled close to it as Chris stayed behind with his team, cleaning up and packing away the net.

"I'll save you a s'more, Chris," Nick spoke out as Chris nodded and kept following the team that lost rules.

After a while of cleaning up Aubree, Alahna and Sarah walked right past him with their s'mores. Sarah could feel Chris' eyes on her, and she loved it.

"I can't believe I let that get away," Chris was startled by Luke appearing by his side; great.

Chris just nodded in response, not really wanting to keep talking to this doofus.
"I mean look at that," Luke whispered as Chris looked back at the girls.

Sarah just had her bikini on, her body full on display. Chris turned back to Luke. "Don't be a weirdo, Luke, " Chris spoke, his demeanor changing.

"What? She is an ex, I have already seen all that," Luke shrugged as Chris inhaled a long breath, trying to calm himself.

"Ew," Chris said talking about Luke's behavior.
"Isn't that why you were looking? That -"

"No- I was just... looking at the s'mores," Chris said as Luke laughed, loudly enough to get the girl's attention. Chris felt her stare at him and internally cringed.

"Oh, I get it! You are still in love with her," Luke said as more people started watching how mad Chris was getting.

"What are you even talking about?" Chris looked around, making eye contact with her.

"It's obvious you have been jealous of me since I started dating her," Luke said turning to some of his friends, who were quietly giggling.

"Seriously. What are you talking about?" Chris said mad as Nick and Matt appeared by his side.

"What is happening?" Nick asked as Chris shrugged, still having no clue why this conversation was even happening.

"Your brother is jealous that I got to hookup with Sarah and he didn't,"

Everyone around them turned to Sarah, who hid between her cousin and her friend.

"Okay that's enough," Matt said as he looked back at Luke. "Or what you gonna punch me- Oh!"

The punch came out of nowhere and everyone gasped as they watched Chris look back at his fist to see if it was okay.

Chris and his brothers were too focused on how his knuckles hurt to notice Luke on his way to punch back.

"Chris!" Sarah screamed as Chris turned to see her, suddenly he fell backward, his cheek hurting.

"Chris, are you okay?" Sarah ran to his side, her I don't care act fading away quickly.

"Yeah. I'm fine," Chris said holding his eye region. Nate, Matt, Nick, and other people ushered Luke away as Sarah, Aubree, and Alahna stayed with Chris.

──────

Chris and Sarah sat by the bonfire,
making s'mores.
In silence.

She had lost all the s'mores she made when she rushed to Chris' side.

She stared back at the sunset.

Remembering their day at the beach, years ago.

"Sunset looks pretty," Chris said once he noticed her staring at it.

"Yeah, it always does," She laughed as she repeated herself, years later. He chuckled and looked at her.

"I am sorry for Luke," She said as she got her marshmallow burnt enough.

"I have no idea why you even dated that guy," Chris said as he watched her eyes.
"I don't either,"

Matt stared at the pair as they awkwardly talked. "Hopefully this situation gets better," Matt commented to Nick and Aubree.

"It will," Aubree smiled and watched as Chris looked at her.

"Is it true? That he is in love with her" Aubree asked as Nick shrugged.
"I mean it would make sense," Nick said as Aubree nodded.

"I did always think that they were in love with each other," Aubree said and Nick thought for a second.

"Probably,"

────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

this is probably my fav chapter of this whole book ngl