34 : Enabling Environment

Start from the beginning

"Right." Sarah Jane responded, snippily. "Good."

"Can I feel threatened by you?" EJ queried as he leant up on his elbow, raising a hand. "I mean, I stand by calling you fabulous, because look at those clothes, and the dog, you know, but you are ever so slightly terrifying."

  Though that seemed to satisfy her, she shrugged. "I'm not interested in picking up where we left off."

  "No?" Asked Rose, tauntingly. "Big sad eyes and the robot dog, what else were you doing last night?"

  "I was just saying how hard it was, adjusting to life back on Earth."

  When she pushed herself up from the crouching position, the blonde didn't seem like she was going to play any games. "Thing is, when you two met, they'd only just got rid of rationing. No wonder all that space stuff was a bit too much for you."

  "I had no problem with space stuff." Sarah Jane promised. "I saw things you wouldn't believe."

  Like a challenge, Rose smirked. "Try me."

  "Mummies."

  "I've met ghosts." EJ refrained from asking; he wasn't there, obviously.

  "Robots." She countered. "Lots of robots."

  "Slitheen, in Downing Street."

  It was slowly becoming clear to Sarah Jane that the Doctor was still as adventurous and daring as he once had been. "Daleks."

  "Met the Emperor." Rose almost laughed this time.

  Standing up from the rough carpet, EJ clarified. "Killed the Emperor."

  "Anti-matter monsters." It sounded amazing.

  "Gas mask zombies." Jack.

  "Real loving dinosaurs!"

  "Real living werewolf!"

  "The Loch Ness Monster!"

     Now, EJ hadn't been expecting for it to turn into so much of a competition; and he hadn't expected to become even more jealous of Sarah Jane. Dinosaurs were envious, but the Loch Ness Monster, that was a legend he had always admired. One day, he would convince the Doctor to take him. If he asked nice enough, it was sure to happen.

     Rose was rather impressed that time too. "Seriously?"

  Sarah Jane laughed, and covered her face from pure embarrassment as EJ chuckled with delight. "That's bloody brilliant."

  "Listen to us." The younger girl sighed, pushing her hair behind her ear. "It's like me and my mate, Shareen. The only time we fell out was over a man. And we're arguing over the Doctor."

  EJ grit his teeth, hating to impose. "Well, technically he's not a man."

  "With you, did he do that thing where he'd explain something at, like, ninety miles per hour and you'd go... what? And he'd look at you like you'd just dribbled on your shirt?"

"All the time!" Then, Sarah Jane laughed. It was with some sense of relief. "Does he still stroke bits of the Tardis?"

  "Yes! Yes! He does!" She giggled. "I'm like, do you two want to be alone? Mind you," She paused, her laughed only growing louder. "EJ's worse with her."

  "She's a beautiful machine." EJ shrugged, completely unbothered. "I won't apologise."

     Even so, they laughed like they had all been friends for a very long time. It wasn't something that EJ was used to yet. It had been five years since his father died, and even so, laughing still felt unnatural. He would get there, eventually. He'd be able to leave it in the past.