Chapter 40: Rich Man Poor Man My Man

How many sunrises and sunsets have painted the sky since that pivotal day?

A whopping seven hundred thirty days?

That's about two years, right?

It has been precisely two years since Ayato heeded the advice of the old woman in Inazuma, and guided both of you to exit the nation for the sake of safety discreetly. Watatsumi Island became your fleeting sanctuary, and, in the nick of time, a foreign Captain extended a welcoming hand.

Beneath her warmth, however, laid an unwavering aura of command, navigating through treacherous waters with a tenacity that mirrored the stormy journey ahead. Miraculously, the ship endured the storm, and you, along with Ayato, found refuge in the bustling embrace of Liyue Harbor.

Back in Inazuma, Ayato's wealth held significant influence, affording him almost anything with a mere gesture. However, the tables had turned. The escape from the nation left both of you bereft of possessions, armed only with the strength of your own bodies.

Ayato transitioned into the role of a common laborer, embracing tasks ranging from sailing alongside his co-workers to the physically demanding work of shipbuilding. While a departure from his previous lifestyle, it showcased a newfound resilience.

Despite the shift in circumstances, Ayato managed to secure a modest apartment--certainly not on the scale of the Kamisato Estate, but it provided a reliable roof overhead. Fortunately, Ayato's income surpassed the need for survival on a diet solely consisting of 'instant noodles with a side of depression.'

You had also witnessed Ayato donning the attire of the common folk, bidding farewell to the days of exclusively draped luxurious fabrics meant for the elite. As time rolled on, the sight of him in regular wear became the new normal, and not once did he complain about the shift in his wardrobe. You appreciated the remarkable adaptability of the man who could seamlessly transition from high-end couture to everyday threads.

At one point, he earnestly insisted that you abandon the idea of work, focusing solely on awakening your anemo vision, emphasizing its importance. Not that he was forbidding you from employment; he just fancied the notion of you dedicating your full focus on your vision.

And so, the clock ticked away two years, marking your journey. Yet, amidst the days filled with laughter and shared moments, your progress in reawakening the anemo vision remained unattainable.

On the bright side, your connection with Ayato had taken a leap into the realms of romance, bringing you closer than ever before. But...when it came to the more intimate aspects of marriage, you and Ayato were treading water, sticking mostly to a slightly awkward routine of making out.

Envision this: Nearly three years deep into matrimonial bliss, sharing a laugh, swapping stories, but steering clear of the more, um, passionate activities. It might sound a bit peculiar, even raise a few eyebrows if the neighborhood got wind of it. However, rest assured, neither you nor Ayato were foolish enough to march around town publicizing the lack of bedroom activities.

And so, strolling along the bustling docks, you found yourself captivated by the sight of Ayato immersed in the intricate work of ship construction. The rhythmic clang of tools echoed in the air as he tirelessly poured his energy into the task at hand. But, oh boy, did something deep within you ignite when your eyes took in the spectacle.

His sleeves were rolled up, revealing arms that had transformed into a sculpted proof of strength from countless hours of labor. The sheer definition of his muscles hinted at a newfound ruggedness that sent a subtle tremor through your senses. The glistening sheen of sweat adorned his skin, each droplet accentuating the contours of his physique, turning mundane work into a mesmerizing display of raw power.