Chapter 30: Never-Awakening Nightmare

In the land of the Narukami, deep in the heart of the city, stands the lofty abode of a god. She looks down upon her nation, at mortal joys and woes.

She takes a deep breath of the cold sharp morning air. She analyzed her hands while mumbling, "...Shadow."

Her fingertips started to crack, causing the god distress. Even as a higher life form, she too, was inevitable from erosion.

She looks up at the grey monotone sky, reminiscing. Two gods were once ruling over the nation. One is Ei, the current ruler of Inazuma and the other was Makoto. Due to unfortunate past events, Makoto, the original Archon of Inazuma, was another victim of a traumatic war.

Many do not know the existence of Ei, for she was just a shadow behind Makoto. The people know Ei as the original archon, Makoto, or Baal. However, that's not the case for y/n, as Ei introduced herself by the name of Ei and not Baal.

Nowadays, most citizens residing within Inazuma call the archon, either the Almighty Shogun or just the shogun. Some call Ei, Baal and y/n would never question it, for she thought it was just another name for the god.

"Am I leading Inazuma in the right direction?" Ei questioned her decisions as she knew she was less fit to lead a nation.

Her thoughts were clouded like the ambiguous sky above her. She contemplated every emotion, analyzing it. Soon, she went back inside Tenshukaku, locking herself up in a room as she went into a deep state of meditation.

Meanwhile, you left the Kamisato Estate early in the morning. You made your way up to the Tenryou Headquarters while carrying a few of your belongings.

You would be staying at their residence for a while until everything in Inazuma becomes stable.

Residing at the Tenryou headquarters brought back a couple of your childhood memories. Both the Tenryou Commissioner and Kujou Sara often either trained you or watched you battle with a few doushins.

You quietly opened the gate, entering the private premises. You took a deep long and steady breath before knocking on the door.

A figure of an old man opened the door, his drowsy eyes meeting yours while he weakly smiled, "I wasn't expecting you to arrive this early."

You stayed quiet while Kujou Takayuki spoke, "Does your husband know?"

"My husband isn't aware of my early departure however, I did leave him a note." You replied while you entered the building.

Takayuki showed you the room that you would be staying in. The room was rather small and compact. It still had the essence of warmth and comfort, that a guest could easily feel welcomed.

He proceeded to softly bring up his frank actions from the meeting. "Do you hate me, for being so...strict?"

You dryly swallowed while you calmly answered, "I could not hate the man who provided many resources for me. Though your words stung a little from the meeting, I understand why you chose to behave the way you did."

Truth be told, I don't hate him, I hate his bold and insensitive actions.

Kujou Takayuki acknowledged your wise choice of words. He raised his hand, placing it on your shoulder, "You've grown into a fine woman."

The man who was feared and intimidated by many, had a strange and gentle way with his critiques. It wasn't normal for the Commissioner to show such trivial emotions.

Kujou Takayuki turned around, preparing to leave the room while you stood there, paralyzed in wonder. Before the old man left, his mind reminded him of a longing reflection from his heart; 'One can only hope the way you think of me...never changes.'