Chapter 39: Only You; You and I

Start from the beginning

"Well...what?"

With a quick mental shuffle, you told a lie that balanced between being believable and a bit crazy. "You won't believe this, but my husband and I accidentally slipped from the steep ledge. Hiking to the top of Mt. Yougou is no joke, you know, and, um, gravity can be a bit sneaky...haha." Your attempt at a casual chuckle aimed to divert attention from the gravity (no pun intended) of the situation, and you hoped she'd buy into this somewhat questionable narrative.

She maintained a blank stare as if grappling with the sheer absurdity of the story you had woven. The seconds dragged on in a super awkward and silent moment, creating a tension you wished could dissipate. After what felt like an entire, uncomfortable minute, she finally summoned a smile, "Surviving a fall like that...both you and your husband are indeed blessed!"

You responded with an uneasy smile, fully aware that the choices back at the shrine had boiled down to either surrendering to Takayuki or taking a leap of faith--quite literally. Amid these reflections, a nagging thought pounded in your head: Where was Ayato?

Your eyes swiftly darted around the room, a subtle panic setting in, only to be interrupted by a pair of weathered hands encircling yours, bringing you back to the present. "Relax, dear. He's right over there, still in the embrace of sleep. Although," she lowered her voice to a hush, "I must inform you, the young man managed to break a lower rib." 

The news was whispered softly, and you found yourself torn between relief and concern.

Exhaling frustration, you found yourself mulling over the recent events. Ayato seemed committed to reclaiming control and rescuing the nation's Archon while your heart yearned for a different path--escaping Inazuma entirely. The burden of duties, the weight of responsibilities, you wished to leave them all behind and forge a simple life with him.

Lost in contemplation, the heaviness in your heart drove you to take a walk, to seek some kind of comfort. 

What if you and Ayato chose to return, challenging the oppressive government to save the nation's God? The absence of your anemo vision's elemental powers was rendered ineffective, leaving you essentially powerless. You knew that relying solely on your strength wouldn't be enough to overthrow the new government, making you more of a burden than an asset to him.

Even if you opted to stay behind, allowing Ayato to face the challenge alone, it seemed like a suicidal attempt against an entire army. 

On the other hand, fighting alongside him presented slim odds of success. Your survival back at the shrine felt like a miracle. Among these grim possibilities, the only rational choice appeared to be abandoning everything and escaping.

While the golden orb of the sun began its descent, casting a warm and supernatural glow across the rural landscape, you found yourself lost in the complexity of your thoughts and hours had slipped through your fingers, unnoticed and unheeded, the world around you transformed with the changing hues of the sunset.

The sky was painted with hues of tangerine, rose, and lavender. The vibrant colors blended seamlessly with the silhouette of the landscape, creating a breathtaking sight that mirrored the tumultuous feelings within.

You found yourself standing in a solitary expanse, a mere speck in the vastness of nature. The rustling leaves whispered tales of ancient eras, and the distant calls of nocturnal creatures heralded the approaching arrival of night.

As the fiery threads of the sun dipped below the horizon, there was no escaping the profound beauty that surrounded you. It reflected the contrast of your own emotions, a wild mix of awe and uncertainty. The dying embers of daylight painted a canvas of serenity, yet within, a storm raged.