His husky voice chiseled something into my heart. It was like he was tempting me, daring me to make a move. Months ago, I called his seduction tactics weak. But I could see that he was getting better.

"Do you want me to kiss you or would you kiss me like the good husband you are?" I raised an eyebrow.

He blushed for a moment before flicking my forehead hard. "Nice try,"

"Ouch!" I groaned, slapping a hand over my forehead. "You dumb bastard, it hurts!"

Xander paused before falling back and erupting into laughter. I covered my mouth, ashamed that I lost control over my words. My etiquette teacher would be so furious if she had heard what I just said. But again, she was lose her mind if she knew the realities of what I could do.

"Say it again," Xander pleaded, his laughing spell withering as he held my arm. "Please? Do it again."

"We need to get dressed," I tried to change the subject. "We have work to do,"

Fortunately, he gave up. "Nothing remains of my shirt after you massacred it last night." 

All the blood rushed into my head. Well, he wasn't the only one who was frustrated at uncooperating clothing. I turned to look at him.

"Then what should I call this?" I pointed at my gown, the entirety of its back torn. "I'm being serious."

Xander groaned and collapsed back onto the bed, making me infuriated. Maybe he deserves a small break. Our little dome of happiness where no sad thing could hurt us.
.................................................................

I sat in the waiting chambers that evening, waiting for my family. It was then that I realized how scared I was. Xander offered to meet my father and brother when they arrived to spare me any embarrassment.

Karra and Lucy were waiting outside so I was all alone. It was hellish. I shook my leg and looked around when I thought I heard noises, only to realize that I imagined it.

After some time, I decided on a way to justify my actions.

I still couldn't blame myself to the full extent. I did everything that was expected of me. I deserved some vengeance for what happened to my child.

Out of a sudden, the doors behind me opened, causing me to shudder. When I turned around, I knew that I wasn't dreaming. Because I saw my brother, entering the room nervously. I stood up.

"You're fine," he said, stopping when he was a few feet away from me. "You don't look awful, sister."

I didn't know how to respond. Was he assessing me for any possible visible injuries? He didn't pull me into a hug he would have in normal times. We both looked at the doorway and found our father entering.

A wave of emotions washed over me. He looked as if he aged a hundred years. And yet, he looked the same. My body moved towards him; it was an unconscious move. When I ran over and hugged him, he instantly embraced me back. His hands were trembling.

"Catheline."

I could've cried. Hearing his soothing voice took me back to the days of my childhood. It had been almost a year since I saw him. But something was off. He looked both familiar and foreign.

He pulled away and held my hands in his hands, staring right into my eyes. Concern. Fear. Love. I saw them all in those two pits of brown, which soon turned dark.

"Have you lost your mind, daughter?"

I shuddered, hearing the tone and recognizing it. It was the only time he was strict. The times when he was a King, not an affectionate father. And I was upset to hear him sing it with me.