15. Anytime, Autumn. Anytime

We're both playing the piano at the same time when suddenly our hands touch. We immediately stop playing and look at each other.

Our eyes seem to have locked on each other. I just noticed that he has beautiful eyes.

Without realizing it, I start inching closer. Apparently, Brad is inching closer too. Our eyes never leaving each other.

Our lips are about to touch when suddenly we hear a loud thunder outside.

"Whoa, did you hear that?" I ask, breaking the tension that had built up between us.

"Yeah, that was quite a thunderclap," Brad replies, his voice slightly shaky.

I let out a nervous laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "Guess it's just the storm trying to steal our spotlight."

Brad chuckles, and then suddenly an idea strikes him. "You know what? Since we're already on edge, why don't we watch some horror movies?"

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Are you trying to scare me, Brad?"

He knows I hate horror movies but he always makes me watch them. Guess he likes toying with me.

He grins mischievously. "Maybe just a little."

With a playful shove, I agree, and we head to the living room. While I gather all the blankets I could find (I have to hide behind something, you know), Brad gathers a bunch of snacks and gets us some soda's.

The first movie starts innocently enough, but as the tension builds, so does my anxiety. I find myself peeking through my fingers, hiding behind the safety of my hands whenever the suspense becomes too much. I doesn't help that Jesse and Koda keep barking every time there is a loud thunderclap.

I tried hiding behind the blankets, but Brad keeps pulling them off while saying I can't watch a movie from behind the blanket.

Even though I hate my life right now, Brad seems to be enjoying himself. He occasionally teases me about how I'm hiding from the TV screen.

As the second movie begins, the storm outside intensifies, adding an eerie backdrop to the horror unfolding on the screen. With each creak of the house and flash of lightning, my nerves jump, and I find myself inching closer to Brad. He doesn't seem to mind because he starts to lean closer to me too.

At one particularly terrifying moment, I can't help it anymore. I bury my face into Brad's shoulder, seeking comfort and reassurance. His arm wraps around me instinctively, pulling me closer to him. I suddenly feel very safe in his arms. His smell bringing me comfort once more.

We watch the rest of the movie like that, with me tucked securely against Brad's side, finding solace in his presence.

After the movie ends, we sit in the dim glow of the TV, the only sound the pitter-patter of rain against the windows.

"Thanks for being my human shield," I joke, lifting my head from his shoulder.

Brad smiles down at me, his eyes soft. "Anytime, Autumn. Anytime."

In that moment, with the storm raging outside and the warmth of Brad beside me, I feel safe and content.

As the credits roll on the horror movie, Brad stretches his arms and lets out a contented sigh. "Well, that was sufficiently terrifying. Ready for something a little less intense?"

I nod eagerly, grateful for the change of pace. He laughs at my eagerness.

We scroll through the streaming service until we settle on a lighthearted comedy, something to counteract the lingering tension from the horror flicks.

We snuggle back into the cushions, the warmth of the blanket cocooning us as the movie begins. As the plot unfolds, we find ourselves immersed in the humor, laughing at the ridiculous antics of the characters and making witty remarks about the storyline.

With each joke shared, it feels like the space between us grows smaller, our laughter creating a bond that feels deeper than just friendship. Or is that just my tiredness talking? 'Cause me having feelings for Brad is just insane, right? I blame it on being tired. Yep, very tired. No feelings, whatsoever...

As the movie nears its end, exhaustion begins to weigh heavy on us. The soft glow of the TV casts flickering shadows across the room, and the rhythmic patter of rain outside lulls us into a comfortable drowsiness.

I lean my head against Brad's shoulder, feeling the steady rise and fall of his chest as he breathes. He wraps his arm around me once again, pulling me close as we both drift into a peaceful slumber.

∞∞∞∞∞

As the light pours into the room, I slowly awaken from the depths of sleep, blinking away the remnants of dreams. My gaze drifts to Brad, still peacefully slumbering beside me, his features softened by the morning light. His brown curls messed up.

As I watch him sleep, a strange sensation stirs in the pit of my stomach. Is it butterflies fluttering or just the rumblings of hunger? I can't quite decipher the feeling, but it lingers nonetheless, a subtle reminder of the closeness we shared last night.

Careful not to disturb Brad, I try to sit up quietly, but the creak of the couch gives me away. His eyes flutter open, and he blinks up at me, his voice thick with sleep.

"What time is it?" he mumbles, his words slurred with drowsiness.

I glance at the clock on the wall, noting the early hour. "It's still pretty early," I reply softly. "But the sun is up, so I guess it's morning."

Brad yawns and stretches, his movements languid as he rubs the sleep from his eyes. "Well, since we're up, want to make some breakfast?"

The idea of food sounds appealing, and I nod eagerly. Together, we shuffle into the kitchen, still wrapped in the comfort of the night's slumber.

Our dogs follow our footsteps to the kitchen, wiggling their tales. Before we start preparing our own breakfast, we give them their food. That way they won't disturb us when we're cooking bacon and eggs.

As we set about preparing breakfast, the events of the previous evening seem like a distant memory, overshadowed by the light of a new day.

Brad stirs his coffee absentmindedly, he looks deep in thought.

"So, I've got to finish up that song for my school project today," Brad announces, breaking the comfortable silence between us.

I look up from my cup. "Oh yeah? Your song sounded pretty amazing already, Brad."

Brad smiles gratefully at my compliment "Thanks, Autumn. But you know me, I just want to tweak it a little, make sure it's perfect."

My mind drifter back to the soft melody Brad had sung to me yesterday, his voice carrying the emotion of the lyrics with every note. "It was perfect, Brad. Your voice sounded so soft and beautiful when you sang it to me yesterday."

Brad's cheeks flush a shade of red at the memory. I find his rosy cheeks quite cute.

"Well, thanks, Autumn. I appreciate that. But I've got to make sure all the chords and lyrics are just right." He replied.

I reach out and place a reassuring hand on his arm. "I get it. You're a perfectionist when it comes to your music. But don't stress too much about it, okay?"

Brad nods, a small smile playing on his lips. "I'll try not to."

Our conversation shifts to my plans for the day. I shrugged casually. "I'll probably just chill at home, maybe catch up on some reading or binge-watch a series."

Brad's eyes light up with an idea. "Well, if you get bored, you know you're always welcome to come over and hang out while I work on my song."

I return his big smile. "Thanks, Brad. I might just sneak through your window and surprise you." Brad laughs.

As we finish our breakfast and clear the table, a sense of camaraderie lingers between us, a silent promise of support and friendship that will endure whatever the day brings our way.

But amidst the chatter and laughter, there's a subtle shift in the air, a silent acknowledgment of the closeness we shared last night. Yet, neither of us dares to address it, content to let it linger unspoken between us.