Chapter 10: Hypocritical Analysis

Rin Says: What's up dudes, little updates here..

So I wanted to say that there will be two changes with the story.. the first one being, the chapters may get shorter because I want them to only go over certain subjects and not add more topics to a chapter to increase its length, this way the quality of the story and its pacing improves.

Also, my story has been moving kinda slow with the things I've got going on like school and the long parts.

Hope all of my readers can enjoy more of this isekai and bear with me.. now read!

ALSO.. THIS CHAPTER IS 3k+ WORDS!.. (-,-) heh

We had been walking for a few minutes before Maryi had crossed one of the streets and ran up to a platform similar to a train station, minus the tracks and some other key features.

See, the station had no roof over it and not even a place to sit, so it was full of people shifting uneasily on a platform.

Maryi squeezed through the crowd to the front of the station where I could see a slime like substance in place of the tracks. The transportation in this world was different than some things in our world, for example big "doors" and cubes that transport people into predestined locations, but the sight of a somewhat train station calmed my nerves a bit.

When the vehicle finally arrived, I could see Maryi standing still, not budging to enter a slime carriage that seemed to fit about eight people at max capacity. She gritted her teeth and sighed as she made way like the rest of the people did for a bloated man with obvious hair loss parading down the aisle like a performer, hamming it up for the crowd.

The lady on his right and left wore matching red and bore the sign of the Sigil, their looks of disgust only masked by their occasional compliment to the man. I assumed this was some kind of royal, but something told me otherwise, he didn't seem to be much of a royal. Though these girls didn't seem to be acting on their own..

A man kicked the man onto his belly, sending him sliding down the floor and causing him to almsot fall onto the slime tracks. The man wore similar attire as the man meeting with Maryi. His grin was a cruel one and the woman ran to his side and hugged him tightly, looking down at the man they had done the same for with more disgust than before.

What was happening.. the whole scene was confusing, more confusing than I wanted to have to deal with today..

:Maryi..

Her fist was clenched and I could feel her take a step forward. But why was this such a bad thing.. if I had to guess this was probably some form of public humiliation, but why to this guy.. and why did Maryi seem to be so angry at it.

"Kura, for your sake I'll make this quick. You still haven't been taken to the Treasury yet and I have a duty," she would mumble before stepping out into the aisle so that she was at the head of the disgraced man.

"Rex, great to see you again. Glad to see you still partake in your disgusting activities," she spat at him.

The man in the white robes simply laughed, the females at his side looking confused at eachother but then following as well. Rex stopped and dismissed the two of them, looking down at Maryi for he was maybe a foot taller than her. His gaze paused on me and his expression changed from mocking to cold and calculated.

"Maryi, great to see you as well. I assure you this," he looked down at the man, then took a step forward to step on the man's head bringing it smashing into the ground, giving Maryi a smile now that his hunched position put them around the same level in height, "filth, is being handled accordingly. You have no say in the matter."

No say, huh? If I wasn't a tiny demon I would have sucker punched this condescending little jerk, but maybe that was my ego speaking. I don't think I could take down such a powerful enemy even if I tried.. though I think thats what gave the smile to Rex, knowing this situation was out of Maryi's control.

I focused on using my [Telepathy.

:Maryi.. I know we just met but I can sense this guy is really strong and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make him an enemy..

Maryi looked shocked for a second, her eyes off of Rex for nothing but a second. But that's all he needed, wasn't it?

A force knocked her back, almost into the tracks. She used some sort of skill to allow her to jump into the sky, effectively letting her float above the tracks, almost hitting the slime carriage.

"You'll let that man go, or I'll see to it that my brother has you investigated again," her voice was a bark.

Rex smiled more with his eyes closed.. this dude gave me the heebie jeebies..

He stood straight again, withdrawing his stretched out foot, then dusting himself off. The crowd was stunned and watched as the man stood and ran off into the streets, proclaiming prayers and thanks to the heavens.

"That insufferable- hah.. it's no use," Maryi sounded tired and defeated like this was a normal occurance. But really.. what the hell did any of it mean? Was it some way of emasculating men who did bad things to the Sigils or was it something more personal? Rex seemed like he could do it with all that..

SHIT, I FORGOT TO APPRAISE HIM!

If he had the skill too that means he knows my every weakness and I'm still left in the dark still.. not to mention I'm sure he will be more careful around me now.. or maybe that's just me overthinking.

The crowd got back to the normal boarding process, however the carriage that had already arrived for the man had disappeared, flying all the way to the dome for as far as I could see it. 

Maryi had left the station promptly after and instead went to the nearest Sigil she could find after a little stroll down the streets. The interesting thing was that the Sigil seemed to be positioned all around the city, and you couldn't walk half a mile without atleast seeing two of those pesky guys in green.

The streets were nothing too remarkable except for a little traders market going around and more of those weird cubes being passed about in very shady ways.

When we made it to the Sigil, she said something in some weird language that I couldn't understand and he handed her a green cube. This time, the cube showed a scene of a estate surrounded by Sigils. 

Same weird teleportation sequence, and we were outside of the palace but in the estate so we didn't have to check-in with the Sigils. 

:Uh.. Maryi? Care to explain what's going on here?

My relationship with Maryi was a confusing one... I think it was more mutual respect than any friendship as of now, since for all I know she took me here to be pawned off..

"It's a show for Rex.. I don't know if you could formulate in your tiny little head the inter workings of the church, but the Sigils highest ranked members enjoy the luxury of being allies with the church," she explained, strolling to the main palace, taking a longer route that went by some gardens and a grand fountain with a ruby gempiece at the crest of its spire.

And yeah that made sense.. the church would be doing its own thing and recruiting strong people.. now that I think about it, what was Vline wearing..?

But he was a Warlock of Vein, I wouldn't think that he would be working for a private church over his country..

:And what about Rex? 

"Rex is a very powerful man with influence almost everywhere here. He could tell a governor to kill himself and the wretched thing would ask him how and when. He bullies the rich for being "filth".. if I hadn't interfered, the man would have been sent to the dome and sent into the Blue."

The Blue? I'm assuming thats what they call the ocean here, since it isn't much other than blue, but that seemed so cruel.. It would be impossible for any human to hold their breath long enough, let alone swim up there without taking a break.. or maybe the water didn't go that long and it was just wide.

:Seems you really hate this Rex guy.. if he's so evil why does the Sigil work with him?

Maryi sighed, entering the palace's large doors and eyeing the structure of a face built out of the bodies of Raptors.

WHAAAAAA-

What the hell?! Why is there a chunk of flesh sculptured into a face.. who could be into that?!

"Don't worry Kura, I just have to take you to the Archbishop so he can divine you and make you pure enough to be held by royalty!"