28. Thamania Wa'Ishrun

Start from the beginning

"Mama, Baba, Yazan, Habib, this is Fayza," Amani introduced them. "Fayza, this is my mother, father, and two brothers."

"Your family is a very attractive one," she beamed. "You've been blessed with very good genes from both sides, Amani. No wonder you stole my brother's attention," Fayza winked. "How are you?"

Amani's mother nodded. "Well, my darling. How are you feeling? Better, I hope. You look very healthy now."

"Well, I'm no longer between death's grips," she joked, although the entire family did not seem happy with her humor. Fayza chuckled. "Is it too soon to joke about it?"

"It will always be too soon to joke about it," Um Muhsin said.

"Oh, the only thing that matters is that now I am awake. That means that Muhsin and Amani can finally be married. I'm thankful you guys waited for me. I would have been very angry if you had been married while I was out. In fact, I'm sure my rage would have finished me off and then I would have cursed you with the haunting of my spirit for the rest of your lives," her eyes sparkled almost manically as she looked between Muhsin and Amani. "Have you set the date?"

Amani nodded. "The thirtieth, inshallah."

Fayza gasped. "Why so far away? You should marry the moment I am discharged. Or, rather, maybe that's a better idea. I need to strengthen my legs for dancing at my brother's wedding. We never thought this day would come, did we, mama?"

"You seem excited, Fayza," Muhsin finally spoke up from behind them. "You're speaking quite a bit more than before."

She narrowed her eyes at her brother then seemed to pick up on his nonverbal cues that the topic would be better changed. "So, tell me then," Fayza turned to Amani's family. "How is life in the land of freedom? Do people really wear house clothes in public?"

Amani chuckled, turning on her heel and making her way toward the man watching their conversation from the back of the room. His eyes followed Habib as he raced over to the bed to answer Fayza's question then shifted onto Amani's while she made her way over. She was struck with the same shuddering realization that plagued her thoughts every time she looked at Muhsin now.

She loved him.

"How are you?" She asked, resting her back on the wall beside him to look out onto the room like he was.

"Better," he nodded. "You look well."

It felt like the day between now and when she'd last seen him had stretched years. Amani turned her head to the man who kept his gaze forward. "You mean I look good?" She asked. "This is the first compliment I think I've ever received from you, Muhsin."

He raised his head, his features growing tense. "It was hardly meant in that manner. I only meant that you look happy."

Amani pursed her lips into a pout. "So I look bad?"

"No," he cleared his throat. "That's not-."

"Then I look good?" She repeated.

He stayed silent.

"Come on, Muhsin. It's either or. Either I look good, or I look bad. Are you going to insult your future wife or tell her she's pretty?" She asked, tucking her hands behind her back and locking her eyes on him, waiting for Muhsin to finally look at her, but he didn't.

Amani knew he was overly aware of her family.

The presence of her father and brothers in the room meant he needed to respect all of them and her even more. Amani already thought he respected her too much when they were alone. She knew she wouldn't win but it was fun to stretch Muhsin just slightly in the direction she wanted. It was nice to see him snap back into place, a little firmer but with the same pleading desperateness in his eyes that she enjoyed far too much.