Chapter 11

"You'll be recognized if you go out like that princess." I told her,
     "Yes, of course," she said, "I have some less decorative clothes in my closet," I followed her into the wardrobe, she knelt and shifted around a few shoe boxes, and underneath she removed folded up clothes, much more plain than the others hanging up or on shelves. "I've had these for a while," she told me, "I've always wanted to get out of here. Even for just one night."

Dressed in peasant clothing she look much more comfortable, there was just one thing left to do. "One more thing your highness," I stepped toward her, removing the pin in her hair, letting it fall freely down her back. And in that moment I thought about how she saved my life. "peasants wear their hair down."
Her smile glowed, "You know Kyouka," she said, "You're going to have to stop calling me 'your highness' once we get into town."
     I grinned back at her, "Of course, Momo," We stayed smiling at each other for a few seconds, I couldn't help but notice how genuine every one of her expressions were. She felt everything so deeply and so confidently.

     She looked away, towards the window, "How are we supposed to get out of here?" the moment was over, "we can't exactly climb out the window."
     All of the royal's rooms were situated in the center of the castle, as far and as high away from the walls. The walls, "I might have an idea," I said, she looked at me expectantly and I told her about how I found the passages in the walls. And she said she had never heard of them, "What do you mean you've never seen anyone coming out of the passages?" I had noticed them on my first week, and she had been living here for her whole life.
"I think my father thought I would sneak around the castle if I knew about them," she said, "he was probably right. I mean, we're about to use them to sneak around."

She followed me down the stairs from her room, which was situated at the very highest point of the tower. The rest of it below seemed to just be stairs. The two guards usually outside her door in the day were by the base of the tower tonight, it would be impossible to sneak past them. But there was a suspiciously placed painting of a noble in a silly hat, just behind the guard on the right,
"Okay," I whispered from behind the stair's railing, "I go by first and if they don't notice me I'll go further down the hall and make a distraction, and I'll come get you." She nodded seriously, her mouth turned down slightly at the edges, like how she looked when she was concentrating on a difficult passage in a book. Cute.

I moved down the hallway, low to the floor, testing each step before I took it. The painting swung away from the wall on oiled hinges, not making a noise. I closed it behind me, tiptoeing through the dimly lit tunnels down the hall. I stopped where the direction turned sharply to the right. I stopped and checked the wall for a crack, it wasn't long before I found it. Again the entranceway swung open soundlessly, I peeked through the small opening I'd made. Clear. I slipped out just as silently, I would have to be quick if I didn't want to get caught.

I spotted what I was looking for, the ornate vase on a pedestal. I tipped it to the side, letting it crash on the floor, I hope that wasn't expensive.

I slipped back into the passage way as both guards rounded the corner, hands on the hilt of their swords. I went back to where Momo was waiting, she was already partway through the passage but was struggling with her long skirts, and I could already hear the guards coming back to their posts. I offered her my hand, she took it and quickly pulled herself up, and just in time. She closed the door as the guards walked back with a soft click!

We breathed a sigh of relief, crouched in the secret passageways behind the painting of some noble. I was suddenly alert as I realized how very cramped the passages were, our faces were inches away from each other. I watched her eyes wandered around my face, lingering on my lips before she leaned forward and collapsed into my shoulder.

I stiffened, but I didn't feel uncomfortable.
    "I can't believe I just did that," she said, I stood and helped her to her feet, "I can't believe we just did that!" she whispered loudly, grinning madly,
     "Welcome to the life of a thief your highness," I said, returning her grin just as excitedly, "now let's get out of this place."

I didn't know my way around very well and we stopped every few seconds to make sure the footsteps we heard was someone outside the tunnels instead of a servant who might see us and ask questions. But eventually we made it to the edge of the castle, there was a door concealed behind a thick patch of ivy.

I pushed it open, there was a large expanse of open ground to get past before the final wall, it wasn't that large; just a barrier between the castle and the people. The gate, which was the only way out, was constantly surrounded by guards.

     "How are we supposed to get past the guards?" I asked,
     She surveyed the area quickly before pulling her head back out of sight, "If we can get over there," she pointed to a cart being loaded up with sacks of flour and wheat, "we can sneak into the back and jump out once we get into town. I heard father say he's sending rations to soldiers on the border, and the first stop is town."
     I nodded, "Yes, just one problem. How are we supposed to get there without being seen?"

     She paused to think for a minute, peeking her head back around the door. She must've seen something because before I knew what was happening she grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me out of hiding with her. For a moment I panicked, years of experience at the orphanage told me to stay where I was, I planted my feet without realizing what I was doing. She noticed my resistance and turned back to face me, "Do you trust me?" she asked quickly,
     "What?" I hissed,
     "Do you trust me?" she asked again,
     My head spun but I answered, "Yes!"
     "When I say go," she said, "run!" I nodded quickly, but I didn't expect her signal so soon, "Run!" she whispered, wrenching me forward with her.

I stumbled but she balanced me with her hand, still running. She lead me over to a horse and I could see what she was doing.
     She snapped the reins and yelled, "He-yah!" and the horse took off towards the wagons, "Come on!" she yelled, caught up in the excitement.

I heard cries from the servants when they saw the one ton draft horse wildly racing straight for them. We ran the other way to another cart, and while the servants surrounding it tried to get the mega-horse back under control we jumped inside. Right on top of a gigantic sack of wheat that let out a puff of air and flour.

I laughed, I couldn't remember the last time I had this much fun. She was laughing too, we rolled farther away from the light, trying to stifle our laughter to no avail, every time we almost had a hold of ourselves we shared a look that made us clutch our sides howling with this new moment.

     "Giddy up!" The driver called. The wagon was on the move. We huddled into the dark corner, sharing secretive grins.

I hadn't even realized she was still holding my hand.