Chapter 21- Groceries

Taylor

Saying that a lot happened in the past month would have been an understatement. I had successfully completed one year at University and everything was looking up. I only thought about Abigail a few times when certain TV shows, or magazines reminded me of her.

My friends and I had been in Germany for three weeks in July. I finally got to meet my father's family and it wasn't too terrible. His wife seemed friendly enough and his son was quite a few years younger than me but I could see the stunning resemblance to my father. I had been to Germany a quite a few times in my younger years, but as I grew up and became sensible enough to understand what my dad had been up to; I stayed away.

I actually missed the place and all the culture. Ethan and I visited family while Avril and Sarah went to a few tourist sites without us. Eventually the four of us travelled together all around Germany. The first spot we went to was the Rügen Cliffs. It was the most exotic thing I've ever laid my eyes on-besides a woman's body. Then we visited the Neuschwanstein Castle. This castle was amazing; it was like something straight out of a fairytale. Sarah and Avril were both gushing the entire tour. The castle was rumoured to be the inspiration to Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disneyland.

"You look dazed," Avril leaned down to saddle me on the beach chair and pecked my lips.

"And you look amazing." I smirked, eying her in the bikini she wore.

When I said a lot has happened, I meant a lot.

We were currently in my childhood home where the four of us would be spending the remainder of the summer together. I had gotten the internship from Avril's parents' company but I still made time to hang out since we would all be splitting again come September.

I was lying on a beach chair around the backyard pool, shirtless with only a sports bra on basking in the sunlight. After all these months of winter I needed to absorb as much of the sun as I could now. Avril was lying on my stomach, with her arms around me.

It was a little uncomfortable, considering the heat-but comforting that she was there anyways.

"I'll go get us some lemonade." She climbed off of me and walked towards the kitchen where Ethan and Sarah were probably f-cking on the counter or something.

Yes-that actually happened. They're dating-or something like it.

It was in Germany that Avril brought a proposition to my attention. She was seeing this guy for a while now, they're in an open relationship but her mother despised him. There are two things wrong with that sentence. First of all, who in their right mind still does the open relationship thing? If I was actually going to devote myself to someone they sure as hell can't f-ck around with anyone else. And secondly, I'm pretty sure her mother had a valid reason to not like whoever that guy was.

Anyways, that's all beside the point. Her mother adores me, and because of this she's asked me to stick to her like glue or some shit. Her mother probably thinks we're dating and that's exactly what she wants. Avril wants to take the attention away from her bad boy boyfriend and drag her mother's focus my way.

I didn't want anything in return, I agreed to play the part. I just asked that she try not to expect anything more from me. We laid out all these rules-no sleeping together, no telling people about her boyfriend; sh-t like that. But of course I'd already broken the first rule.

I loved Avril as a friend but I didn't love her. She's been there for me countless nights comforting me when I was tossing and turning, thinking about Abigail. She made all of that go away. I know how it looked...like I was using her. But she was using me too, no harm no foul.