The Guardian Star

"E-excuse me? Is... is it okay if I give her a hug? I know... I know that it's probably not okay, but she was really nice to me... and I wanted to say goodbye to my friend..."

The doctor started to shake her head, but the mother looked at me through tears, stained eyes, and said, "Yes, yes, of course you can. And thank you for it because of being her friend. I'm sure she appreciated it."

So, very cautiously, I went over to the girl, gave her a gentle hug, kissed her on the forehead, and said softly to her, "I hope you are well with God now. Heaven will take care of you, just like they did with my Grammy."

And then I hugged the mother, said thank you, and quietly returned to my bed. The doctors wheeled the girl away, and the mother slowly followed. She later returned to my bedside, and said thank you for my kind words, and for being my daughter's friend. I gave her a hug and told her everything would be okay and to always look at the stars because soon would be one a little brighter than the rest. And that, as my mom called it, was the Guardian star.

I told her that according to my mom, the Guardian star is where people go when they go to heaven, so they can watch us, no matter where in the universe we are. The mom gave me a small but genuine smile and asked me softly how I knew this. I told her, "my mom told me the day my grandma went to heaven, and again when my dog went." I then took her hand and said, "My mom always says this to me when someone went to heaven."