Chapter 30

Tam hadn't seen Keefe all day. Usually the empath would come up to him first thing in the morning while Tam got hid books from his locker but Keefe didn't come up to him.
Fitz did come up to him and Linh but when Tam asked about Keefe, Fitz was just as confused as Tam.

Now, it was lunch. Tam hadn't gotten himself any sort of food to eat, so he tapped his fingers against the table as Linh was nibbling on a cupcake next to him.
Dex and Biana were sat across from them, just chatting away.
Tam was worried.
Tam looked up to see Fitz coming over. Fitz had slid next to Dex and looked at Tam.

"Anything?" Tam asked.
Fitz sighed.
"He wasn't in any of my classes, I pretended to feel faint to check out the Healing Center but Elwin was just as confused as I was." Fitz stated.
"Keefe may be in some sort of trouble."
Linh, Dex and Biana all looked at Fitz.
"Keefe what?" Linh blinked.

Tam frowned and he tugged at his bangs.
"Any chance you know where he may have run off to?" Tam asked.
Fitz shrugged.
"Uhh, there is this field he usually goes to when he needs to relax. I could check the place out after school but-" Fitz began.
"You're taking me with you." Tam stated.
Fitz looked at Tam and Tam stared at Fitz, his eyes filled with worry.
"Of course, I'll hail you when we'll leave." Fitz nodded.

"What do you mean Keefe may be in trouble?" Dex questioned, glancing between Fitz and Tam.
Tam cleared his throat.
"Keefe and I were sort of caught being lovey dovey by his dad." Tam mumbled.
"He said he was grounded for a week and that he'd see me but-"
Tam took a deep breath. "But maybe he said that so I wouldn't worry."
Dex frowned.
"Hey, well I could always try and make some sort of tracker if we can't find Keefe anywhere!" Dex offered.
"I could sneak into Lord Cassius' beach house and see if he's holding Keefe hostage." Biana also offered.
"I could drown Lord Cassius if he's hurt Keefe in any sort of way." Linh smiled at Tam.
Tam smiled at Dex, Biana and Linh.

"I'll think about it." Tam said.
"Let's just see if Fitz and I can find Keefe after school though."
Linh nodded.
"Keep me updated, hail me if you find him and if you're okay." Linh said, gently rubbing Tam's shoulder in a comforting way.
Tam nodded at Linh. "I will."
"...Biana?" Fitz grinned at his sister.
"Huh? Oh if you get harmed, then it's your fault and I will not miss you." Biana smiled.
"If you're in trouble, don't hail me!"
Fitz scowled and glared at Biana who was giggling.
Dex smiled slightly and he playfully punched Fitz's shoulder.
"Hail me once you're back home and update me, okay?" Dex said.
Fitz looked at Dex and smiled, nodding. "Of course."

Tam fiddled with his cape. He really hoped that he'd find Keefe.

*****

Tam instantly let go of Fitz once they light-leapt to the field Keefe typically went to.
Tam looked around and he blinked as he recognized the field.
"I'm gonna go look for Keefe by the trees over there, he usually chills out there." Fitz said, pointing towards the direction of where the trees were.
Fitz noticed how Tam was staring off into the distance.
"I'm going up ahead, there's a cliff up there and Keefe took me there before." Tam stated, glancing back at Fitz.
Fitz nodded.
"Message me if you find him, I'll message you if I find him. If not, meet back around half an hour?" Fitz asked.
Tam nodded.
"Good luck." Fitz stated as he headed towards the direction of the trees.
Tam took a deep breath as he began to make his way towards the cliff.
Tam had a gut feeling he'd find Keefe but he felt strange about it.

Tam went on, the small hike took him about 10-15 minutes until he was reaching closer towards the cliff. As Tam reached closer, he seen a figure standing there, their cape and hair being blown by the slight breeze.
Tam gulped as he slowly went up to the figure and he was correct. It was Keefe.
Tam got his imparter and quickly typed a message to Fitz before shoving his imparter away again.

Keefe fiddled with his fingers as he looked out at the sky, the way the sun was about to set.
Keefe flinched as someone spoke behind him.
"Keefe?"
Keefe glanced over his shoulder and he seen Tam.
"Uh, hey." Keefe smiled weakly.
Tam frowned as he went over to Keefe, Keefe slowly turned around to face him.
Tam stared at Keefe's face and gently brought his hand up to Keefe's right cheek, seeing how Keefe had bandaged it.

Keefe felt a lot of emotions coming from Tam as Tam stared at his injured cheek.
"Woah, hey don't worry about me." Keefe smiled, gently taking Tam's hand over his cheek away and holding it.
"You weren't in school today, Fitz was confused, nobody knew where you were-" Tam began to scowl.
Tam took a deep breath.
"Just... Come back with me and we can talk, okay?" 
Keefe bit his lower lip as he glanced back at the sky and the crashing waves of the ocean below.

"I should get back home, my dad will-" Keefe began.
Tam squeezed Keefe's hand.
"Keefe." Tam said, his voice slightly breaking.
Keefe gulped as he looked at Tam's face, seeing the worry in his face.
Keefe sighed out, leaning in as he gently held Tam's face with his other hand.
"Okay." Keefe said softly.
"Just...maybe let me stay over for a while? Until my dad blows off some steam?"
Tam rested his forehead against Keefe's.
"I'm sure Tiergan will be okay with it." Tam said.

"Let's go, Fitz will want to know you're...well...are you okay?" Tam asked, looking into Keefe's eyes.
Keefe gently rubbed his thumb against Tam's cheek.
"I will be." Keefe said, nodding slightly.
Tam sighed out and he quickly pecked Keefe's cheek as he backed away.
"C'mon Keefe." Tam said softly.
Keefe took his hand away from Tam's cheek. Tam squeezed Keefe's hand as he began to walk back down the way with Keefe next to him.

*****

Tam was sat with Keefe on his bed. Keefe had the bandage off his cheek and Tam was looking at his injury. It seemed to be a small cut, it wouldn't scar but...it made Tam feel horrible.
"I can't believe he did this to you." Tam said, rubbing Keefe's cheek with his hands, being gentle.
"Hah, well he kept your request in mind and didn't murder me!" Keefe grinned.
Tam furrowed his eyebrows at Keefe.
"Be serious, please." Tam pleaded softly.
Keefe bit his lower lip.
"Sorry." Keefe mumbled.

Tam leaned in, quickly pecking the tip of Keefe's nose.
"Biana said she'd get your things from your dad's place, she'll do it tomorrow after school or something." Tam said.
"Think you'll be able to come to Foxfire tomorrow?"
Keefe shrugged. "I don't have my uniform."
"Mmh..." Tam hummed, thinking to himself.
"We could always see Elwin early in the morning, he could have some extra clothing."
Keefe shuffled uncomfortably and Tam frowned.
"What is it?" Tam asked.
"It's just...I kinda don't wanna go tomorrow in general." Keefe shrugged.
"Can I not just... stay here?"
Tam sighed.
"I'll stay with you." Tam stated.

"And we can talk more tomorrow, you wanna have a shower or anything? Something to eat?"
Keefe stayed silent, thinking to himself.
Tam ruffled Keefe's hair as he slowly got up from his bed.
"I'll see if we have any sort of cookies, maybe some milk too." 
Keefe watched as Tam began to walk over to the door of the room.
"Tam." Keefe said, before Tam could leave.
Tam glanced back at Keefe.
Keefe gulped as he nervously scratched his neck.
"Uh...thanks. I really do...appreciate this." Keefe said.
Tam stared at the empath who wasn't even holding eye contact with him. Tam's heart fluttered as he understood what Keefe was trying to say.
Tam smiled softly. "Of course. You're my boyfriend and I care for you." 
Keefe looked at Tam and they locked eyes for a moment.
Keefe felt his cheeks warm and he looked away again. This made Tam smile even more as he went and left his bedroom to get Keefe a little snack before they'd go to sleep.

Keefe was really grateful. Having someone like Tam there for him.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1327