You're Too Late - Caitlin Foord x Reader

Caitlin Foord x Reader request from @Noah02198 !

--------------

"You know you could always tell her how you feel, yeah?" Leah's voice sounded next to you, shaking you of your thoughts as you waited for the elevator (or lift.) "She feels the same way if that's what you're worried 'bout."

"I did," you grumbled, Leah's eyes widening as the tripped and fell onto Katie. "She said and I quote, 'I'm one of your best mates, you should like me'."

"Foordy can't be that stoopid," Katie interjected, her Irish accent changing the "u" into a double "o" sound. "I know she's not the brightest when it comes to feelings, but still..."

"I straight up told her I like her, and she clearly doesn't feel the same way," you huffed. "I should just move on."

"WHAT!?" Jen and Manu yelled in surprise, the two eavesdroppers making the rest of you jump.

"You can't!" Manu protested. "Foordy likes you too, she's just oblivious!"

"Forget about," you huffed. "And learn to mind your own damn business."

---------------

"No, toast and bread aren't the same," you argued with Kim. "Toast goes through a chemical change to become bread, therefore they're not the sa–"

Catching sight of an approaching Caitlin, you awkwardly speed-walked to the other side of the field and began chatting with Beth.

The Aussie noticed, asking Kim, "What's with Y/N? Did I do something wrong?"

The captain shook her head. "Not my place to say."

Just as Caitlin was about to ask the Scottish woman what she meant, the whistle blew for practice.

The Forward's eyes narrowed. You were acting strange, and she was going to get to the bottom of it.

---------------

It all went to shit when she sat next to you on the team bus. You'd carelessly sat in a row with two unoccupied seats, and Caitlin had taken that as her chance to finally figure out what in the hell was going on with you.

"Hey mate," she greeted cheerfully, plopping herself down into the aisle seat next to you as you internally panicked. "So, you wanna tell me why you've been avoiding me?"

"I haven't been avoiding you," you grumbled, crossing your arms and looking out the window. "You just haven't been around."

"Yeah, right," she scoffed. "You've been speed-walkin' to the other side of the pitch like a frickin' penguin every time you see me."

"Whatever," you rolled your eyes in annoyance. "Just fuck off."

"How dare you!" Caitlin hissed. "I've done nothing wrong and you're acting like a bitch!"

You stood up as the last of your Arsenal teammates boarded the bus. "I'm just going to walk back to the hotel."

Ignoring the calls of your teammates, you ran off the bus, turning in the absolute opposite direction of the hotel where the team was staying. You shut off your phone, not wanting to deal with your teammates' calls or texts. Your heart had already been aching from Caitlin's ignorance, but her clear uninterest in you turned the small knife stabbing repeatedly into your chest to a constant ramming with a sledgehammer. So you did the only (not-so) sensible thing in that situation. You ran. Ran from the heartache. Ran from the pain. Ran from your problems.

You ran from her.

----------------

"We should call the police!" Caitlin declared, face creased with worry at your disappearance. "It's been hours and she still hasn't come back. She always comes back!"