Chapter 5: To the lions' den

Start from the beginning

"Lady Karina?" An older man with grey hair and moustache with the same colour pulled her away from her thoughts. The older man had already introduced himself as the head butler of Neuschwanstein, Robert."My apologies. I was lost in my thoughts."

Robert shook his head and waved his hand continuously, "Oh my lady, please do not feel sorry. You can look around as much as you like."

"That sounds very tempting, but I wouldn't want to make the madam wait."

The butler smiled and nodded. "Alright, right this way, my lady..."

Karina stood patiently and watched Robert speak to the knights, guarding a large two-way door before knocking the door.

"Come in!" A soft feminine voice yelled out. Robert went inside before appearing back in a few seconds.

"The madam is waiting."

Inside, Karina's eyes couldn't help but sparkled once she laid her eyes on a female figure sitting at the couch. Karina was astonished to see the marchioness' light pink hair. The rumour she had heard really was true. About how the head of the Neuschwanstein hair was pink like the colour of cherry blossom tress.

'So pretty...'

Shuli stood up and went over to Karina, "I am so glad you could make it, Lady Karina! Are you alright? the weather has been getting colder these days."

"I am alright, Madam." Karina shyly answered. Shuli took notice of Karina's shyness and smiled warmly to calm the young girl down and beckoned the girl to sit.

"This is a gift... for my gratitude because of what happened three days ago." Shuli said and signalled a maid to bring a small box covered with green dyed leather. Karina's eyes widened in disbelief as Shuli handed her over the box.

"My goodness, madam ---"

"Please take it!" Shuli gently placed the small box on Karina's hand and caressed the young girl' hand as a reassurance.

Karina eyes brightened up as she opened the small box to see a white colour floral design hair ribbon with different kinds of purple shade flowers and green leaves pattern imprinted on it. Karina touched the ribbon and felt the silky smooth fabric once the ribbon made contact with her fingers.

"This is gorgeous, madam. It feels like I'm holding a garden in my hand. What a magnificent design!"

Shuli found herself relieved that Karina seemed to like the gift.

"I am glad you like it."

"I love it!!" Karina eye-smiled at Shuli. "But I didn't prepare anything for you, madam... I feel bad. "

Shuli shook her head. "Don't feel bad, lady Karina. What you did for Rachel and Leon was like a present enough for me..."

Karina smiled fondly at Shuli's pure thought. For Karina, it was a pleasant sight to see --- the love of a mother.

"How are the children doing madam?"

Shuli gave Karina a miserable expression, to which Karina sweatdropped. "Their spirit are as high as ever. The twins were actually demanding me to invite you to our house."

"I see, I would not mind seeing the twins again."

Shuli grabbed the small teacup her maids had just prepared. She carefully took a sip of the hot liquid before answering Karina. "Of course! it's just too bad the twins are taking their afternoon nap right now. The maids had been trying to wake them up, but they just wouldn't."

"It's alright. They must be tired." Karina protested. 'Afternoon naps are the best...'

"So how have you been doing these days, madam? you look a bit tired." Karina questioned once she saw Shuli's under eyes forming eyebags. "Ah, you noticed? I'm a bit busy these days because I'm hosting a banquet in two weeks.." Shuli scratched her cheek, giving Karina a toothy grin.