Ch. 26: Legend's Promise

Start from the beginning

"You mean like a hospital?" Fitz asked.

"No," Delilah chuckled.

"We're going to see my brother, Torres," Dex replied, looking away.

A trap house. Torres was an addict. Abuela Maya stopped what she was doing and frowned at Delilah. This was the vampire's doing.

"How do you feel about that, Dex?" I asked.

"Hm? How should I feel? We have to do what we have to do," Dex replied gruffly. "Be prepared. We leave in a few days."

There was something I had to do before we moved forward with the mission, and I couldn't put it off any longer. Realizing how much I actually cared about Dex and Nixie, a feeling I had never known before was gnawing at my soul. It made me restless to finally put everything on the table.

***

"Nixie, I need to talk to you when we get the chance," I said from the guest room door.

"Can't we talk now?" she asked.

I looked around the room that she shared with Fitz. The sharpshooter didn't look up from his phone, but I knew he was listening. I didn't think he would take well to what I had to say. I scratched the back of my neck and took a step back. "I'd rather talk somewhere private."

A flash of uncertainty passed over Nixie's face as she got up from the bed and followed me out, closing the door behind her. "What's this about?" she asked quietly.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I didn't know how to begin. Shaking my head, I marched to the backdoor of the cottage, with a glance over my shoulder to make sure she was following. Her halting steps didn't seem too enthusiastic.

When we got outside to the pond, I climbed into the boat and made space for her. Dex called from the shed, "Any room for one more?" I nodded, and she loped toward us. We rowed to the center of the pond in silence.

"Just tell me," Nixie said.

"I've lied to you both, and I'm sorry. I think you should know the truth." I lowered my head.

She crossed her arms, tears welling in her eyes. "I knew it."

Dex wordlessly stroked her back. Both women fixed their gazes on me, nailing me to the spot. I imagined Nixie believing I had another relationship or something equally dastardly, and I shook my head vehemently. "It's not what you think," I said.

"Oh, really? It's not that you're the head of a criminal organization, pardoned for a serious offense under the condition that you take part in this OASIS mission?" She lifted her chin.

My jaw dropped. "I didn't think you'd remember that."

"Right, because everyone thinks I'm this vapid, innocent, darling princess who doesn't pay attention to anything around me. You looked me in the eyes that day and told me that you were joking. But I overheard your conversations about jail time, and I know you owe someone a serious amount of money," she sighed, dashing her tears.

"Owed." I stared at the water glumly. "I owed someone a serious amount of money. I'm not a longtime secret agent. I'm the leader of a street racing gang, and before I got caught by OASIS for breaking the Existence in Proximity Act, I thought I could increase my profits by selling drugs. Once I got the package, however, I realized that wasn't the life for me. I paid off the drug dealer with money I got from making a foolish deal with Delilah."

"You knew, Dex?" Nixie implored.

"I...knew some parts, but I thought it would be more appropriate for Legend to tell you the truth about himself on his own terms," Dex replied. "Because of his bargain with Delilah, we almost had the assassination of a council member on our hands, but I headed it off at the pass. Legend confessed everything to me last night."