Chapter 2: Brave New World

The Kantei courtyard at night. The Kantei, located in Tokyo, is the official workplace of the Prime Minister of Japan. This photo was originally uploaded on Japan PM's official website. Link at the end of the chapter.

UPDATE: Chapter 1 has been edited with changes and additions—Full details are at the end of the chapter.

Ponikyan.co.jp (website of The Ponikyan Times)

Government holds National Security Council meeting on communications crisis

2027/1/2 05:52

[image]

Exterior of the Prime Minister's official residence = Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo (Photo by Megumi Fujita)

Late on the 1st, the government held a National Security Council meeting at the Kantei to discuss the international communications crisis which has interrupted communication media and air transport, affecting daily travel, business, and other related transactions and services. Prime Minister Chiharu Yomoya and related ministers and bureau chiefs attended the meeting.

***

CONFIDENTIAL

JCG Call Transcript

Reiwa 9, January 2; 07:38:02

(00:55 length)

Kujirami Maru (KM): Mayday! Mayday! This is the Kujirami Maru! Mayday! Can anyone hear me?!

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): Japan Coast Guard.

KM: This is the Kujirami Maru! One of my friends was swimming! Something took him!

(Speaking to someone else) Get away from the water!

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): What took him?

KM: I don't know. We were just going to watch whales.

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): Your friend was attacked by whales?

KM: It was as big as a whale. But it was something else.

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): Where are you, Kujirami Maru?

KM: (REDACTED) Offshore of the Kerama Islands.

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): We will send help to your location. Please stay calm. Do not attempt to leave the boat.

KM: Thank you. What the...? It's coming this way!

PS-16 Nobaru (PS-16): Kujirami Maru?

(CALL ENDED)

***

1027 A.G.B., 2nd Day of Florescentia, Diemlux

Terra Incognita 

Morning

Tristan is in a white room, barely furnished with two chairs too many for a small table and a stupid old man and his stupid parrot sitting in them. They have been here all night. As an alternative to rubbing elbows, Tristan has opted to stay away as far as possible, even if it is just six or five feet away, standing in front of a large, wide mirror covering nearly the entire width of the wall.

He yawns staring at the mirror. 

The "Coast Guard" mercenaries are up to something

It is not safe for us to sleep