12 - Interest

Satomi pov:

The library that Muzan san led me to was enormous. The spacious room was filled with shelves and shelves of books, all neatly organized with labels on their genre. I was impressed, and I let go of Muzan san's hand to step to the nearest shelf and run my fingers over the spines of the books there.

"Wow, this is really quite something," I mumbled. I pulled out a book and scanned through a few pages that spoke of the history of this world.

"I'm pleased to see that you are impressed," Muzan san said, stepping closer to me.

I looked at him when he reached for my hair and held a few strands in his fingers. He brought them to his lips with his eyes closed, and the rather forward gesture made my heart skip a beat. His proximity allowed me to get a whiff of the intoxicating scent that lingered around him – it was sort of earthy with a hint of fresh citrus. His towering height and broad physique tempted me to embrace him, just as it had on our meeting in the meadow several weeks ago, and it was nearly uncontrollable now.

A deep inhale made me keep composure when our eyes met. However, the gesture that followed had me feeling unexpectedly stirred.

"May I?" he asked, reaching out with his hand to cup my cheek. I could only nod unblinking as he caressed my cheek with his thumb without breaking eye contact. His voice was low and husky when he spoke again, "You are beautiful, Satomi san."

His eyes shifted to my lips and the color of his corneas darkened. He leaned down a little, tilting his head as he closed in on my lips. He parted his lips when he was moments away from kissing me. A rush of adrenaline had caution rising in me though, and I turned my head away before anything happened. My heart was racing, and my mind was reeling in shock of how I had nearly succumbed to this unexpected attraction I had begun to feel for him.

He was courteous – at least, he had been courteous until today's summoning. He was handsome and powerful, and something about him drew me in towards him. As similar as he seemed to be to Naraku, he felt completely different too. It was strange and a little frightening that I was feeling so ruffled by him suddenly.

Muzan san let go of my face and stepped away from me. He said, "Forgive me - it seems that I have made you uncomfortable, Satomi san."

I met his eyes – they held gentleness, as did the small smile that was upon his lips. I felt drawn to him again, though it was very similar to the sense of longing I had felt with Kokushibo san when I had met him in the forest several weeks ago. All said and done, the growing feelings for these two demons was a little concerning, and I was yet to know how to figure out who it was I wanted to get closer to more.

"No, it's quite alright, Muzan san," I replied, forcing a smile to cover up the frantic emotions that raged within me. Pushing some strands of hair behind my ears, I added, "I was just a bit surprised by what you were about to do."

"I couldn't help myself, Satomi san," he answered. "You looked so charming that I wished to be closer to you."

The tender expression on his face remained while I stared at him. He said nothing, nor did he usher me to speak. My mind was filled with many thoughts now, though mostly of what this fluster I had felt would mean for me going forward. I needed to know what I was getting into, and if I could allow this unusual curiosity of him or Kokushibo san to continue. I did not have the luxury to wait until we were outside strolling to question Muzan san about his true motive.