5 - Demon Skills

Satomi pov:

The slow tune I played on my flute reminded me of home once again. It was a tune I had learnt from a good friend of mine – a fox demon I had met in the mountains many years ago. I thought of her fondly, hoping that she was doing well with her mate. I recalled that she was expecting cubs the last time I had seen her – the memory made me wish to see her and the cubs.

Oddly enough, the desire to find a mate and settle down had been on my mind for a while now. Despite the two wonderful brothers and many friends I had, I yearned for a heart that I could claim as mine. I yearned for a man who would make my heart race and who would love, cherish, and think of me as his world. The way Gyutaro san often held me had made that desire increase – he flustered me by his touchy behavior but it wasn't close enough to the emotional stir I assumed would come with someone I fell in love with.

Then again, I had never experienced a love strong enough to make me want to completely give my heart to someone. Perhaps I was exaggerating and expecting more than what was true. All I knew, however, was that I had to follow my heart in this matter.

"You play the flute really well. I'm impressed," spoke Daki san when I had moved my flute away from my lips.

"I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it," I said, giving her a smile.

"You're proving to me that you're a lot more pretty than I thought. But you won't ever be as beautiful as my little sister," Gyutaro san said. He was sitting a little away from us with one arm on his upright knee, grinning.

 He was sitting a little away from us with one arm on his upright knee, grinning

Gyutaro san and Daki san were siblings through and through. Despite not showing affection for each other openly, they depended on each other and trusted each other a lot. Well, Daki was the one who never expressed sibling love, often remaining prickly and in a bad mood, especially when it came to how the humans of Kyogoku House were foolish and never did things the right way. She was more than cruel towards the workers, snapping at them for mistakes that could be overlooked.

She didn't even spare the young children who worked there. My request for her to leave them be had not been taken well by either of the siblings. Daki had scoffed and belittled me for thinking foolishly and Gyutaro san had only said that I had to act like a demon and not be so pathetic.

He was a thoroughly sadistic demon despite being sensitive about his appearance – he found pleasure in killing and devouring humans, and even more when he tormented them before he killed them. I had witnessed that side of him and Daki san a couple of time when we had been out sightseeing during the night or in the Kyogoku House. It had taken all my strength to not stop them and only watch as their victims sobbed and begged to be spared, only to be slaughtered brutally in the end. The sight of Gyutaro san devouring his victims did not bother me because this wasn't the first time I had seen demons eating humans, but I made sure that he did not stain me with blood by holding me when he was covered in it.

There was one incident with him that had stuck with me strongly though – one that had revealed to me a side and memory I hadn't quite expected to see in Gyutaro san. I thought of it even now while I watched him bickering about something unimportant with Daki san.