1 - Prelude

A soothing melody could be heard in the air, echoing from a clearing in the lush forest. Seated atop a boulder that rose from the still, clear water of a tranquil lake was a beautiful woman playing a long bamboo flute. Strands of silver swayed in the gentle breeze while her eyes remained closed as she continued to play her flute. Her attire was simple - a long white dress that accentuated her petite physique and cascaded delicately from the waist down in pleats. There were white accessories that adorned her hair and a delicate necklace that sat right above her collarbones and matched her earrings.

The soft notes had caught the attention of many that lived in the forest. Their eyes were on her, some in awe, some in desire, and others in reverence. None disturbed her or attempted to approach her, for they were well aware of who she was. They did not wish to be victims of her wrath despite knowing well that she was only more than kind to all life that thrived on these lands.

However, it was not just her identity that kept them away, but the immense power of her mere presence. Her demonic aura made it clear that she was not one to be trifled with.

It was too soon that the melody came to an end, more for the audience than for the beautiful woman. She remained still for a few moments, allowing the reverberations of the tune to linger in her ears and around her. Then, lowering her flute from her rosy lips, she opened her eyes to reveal pools of liquid gold.

A small smile came to her pink lips as she gazed at the moon that was bright in the night sky. She then gazed at the red tassel that adorned the end of her flute - it was something she treasured, for it was the only thing she had left of her father. She touched the entwined silk threads that she had preserved for many years now and would continue to preserve for as long as she was alive.

She then stood, pushing back some silver strands behind her slightly pointed ears. Her eyes scanned her surroundings, narrowing at a gaze she caught amid the many who had been listening to her. A soft sigh left her lips as she jumped and landed like a feather on the grassy banks of the lake. She slipped into white ballerinas that were decorated with five small crystals on the sides.

Fastening her flute in her waist strap beside the katana she had there, she looked at the lingering gaze and said, "Come out."

"As expected of you, Satomi Hime. You sensed me so easily," came a sinister baritone. A man with long, wavy tousles stepped out from behind the trees, both his scarlet eyes and smirk menacing.

"It is hard not to notice you when you're making your presence so obvious. You reek of miasma," said Satomi, her voice just as gentle as her appearance, though with a hint of displeasure. Narrowing her eyes, she asked, "Why are you here, Naraku?"

"Have you given any thought to my offer, Satomi Hime?" he asked smoothly.

"I already refused you before, and I clearly remember telling you not to bother me with this again," she answered.

"I'm sure I can give you whatever you want in return," the man insisted.

"There is nothing that I lack for you to give me, Naraku." Satomi was smiling in amusement now.

"Perhaps not now, but I can give you even greater power with a wish to the Sacred Jewel."

"I have no need for that. I am powerful enough as it is," she said, running her fingers through her straight hair while closing her eyes for a moment.

There was a flicker of desire in Naraku's eyes. There was not one male that could resist Satomi's beauty - she was the epitome of perfection and one that any demon would desire to have as a mate. She was not so easy to touch though, for she was regal and would not easily be swayed by tempting words or flattery. She had lived long enough to know what she wanted and wished to do with all that she was blessed with.