William silently watched him, fully prepared to rush to his defense should any guardsmen attack him. Besides Burdock, this stranger was the only ally he had in his struggle against the Piper.

After surveying the market, the boy crept back into the alleyway. "Should be safe now," he said. "Looks like they've gone back to their posts."

William released a sigh of relief. "Thank you for saving me."

The boy tilted his head, his eyebrows scrunched together. "Mind repeating that? Hard to hear you."

As noisy as the forge and the nearby market were, William could hear the boy as clear as day. Nonetheless, he inched closer to the boy and bowed his head. "Thank you for saving me from the guardsmen. I was sure they'd catch me."

"It's a miracle they didn't." The boy shook his head. "What in the Lord's name were you thinking attracting their attention like that?"

Heat rushed to William's face. "All I did was ask a few questions. How was I supposed to know they'd react like that?"

The boy hummed softly. "I suppose you wouldn't." He held out his hand. "Now that we should finally have some peace for a while, I suppose now would be a good time to properly introduce myself. My name's Thomas Wright."

"Mine's William Smith." He stifled a wince as their handshake sent pain radiating from the bruises on his wrist. After everything he'd been through in the last few days, William longed to collapse in bed, refusing to stir until the Harvest Festival.

"Well, William, you're definitely not from around here. Where are you from?"

"I'm from Hamelin. It's a couple hours' journey by cart."

"That explains it," Thomas said. "Folks from out of town don't tend to last long. It's usually alright if they just come to buy or sell a few things, but it's not a good idea to linger long."

"That doesn't surprise me," William muttered. The townsfolk hadn't seemed like the most welcoming lot even before he'd discovered their true nature. Yet, somehow, Thomas wasn't like the others. "Why did you help me?"

Thomas smiled sadly. "I know what happens to those who are caught by the guardsmen. It's a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone." He tilted his head to the side. "So, how did you manage to catch their attention?"

"I don't know. All I did was ask where I could find the Piper."

Thomas let out a long, low whistle. "That'll do it. The Piper is nothing but bad news. You'd be wise to steer clear of him."

"I have to find him."

Thomas scowled. "No, you don't. I don't know why you're seeking him out, but I promise you are not that desperate."

"I have to save my sister!" Both of them tensed, and William slapped a hand over his mouth. When it became clear no maroon uniforms were making their way toward the alleyway, he lowered his voice. "She hasn't been herself for weeks."

"She's under a rat's control?" At William's nod, Thomas swore under his breath. "They're spreading. How many have they taken?"

"All the children," William said softly.

"You still have time, then," Thomas said. "You can still save the others."

A cold weight settled in William's stomach. "What do you mean?"

"When my family moved here a few years ago, the adults were still normal, but the children weren't acting right," Thomas said softly. "Since the rats ate so many crops, we thought Aerzen had a particularly bad infestation. Hard not to act strange when you've grown up not knowing if you'll have enough food to survive the winter."

Just thinking about the long, lean months after the rats devoured much of Hamelin's crops made William's stomach howl. Since Aerzen was dominated by craftsmen and relied on other towns for much of its food, the famine must have been especially hard on its residents.

"We didn't think much of it, and things were alright for a while," Thomas continued, "but one night, we heard someone playing a flute. The lucky ones were asleep when it happened, but..."

Thomas squeezed his eyes shut. When he spoke again, his voice was hoarse with unshed tears. "Mother screamed so loudly. I couldn't hear the swarm coming, but Father made me hide in the cellar while he tried to save her." He hung his head, his voice crackling like dead leaves. "When I came back out, they weren't the same. No one was."

All William could do was squeeze Thomas's hand. "I'm sorry."

Thomas shrugged. "At least I'm still here. As long as I don't take more than I need and stay out of the way, everyone leaves me alone."

That was no way to live. Forced to live like vermin, it was no wonder Thomas was so thin. His long, blond hair curtained much of his face, but the matted tangles could not hide the boy's desperation for things to change.

"Once I master the Piper's song, I'll free everyone," William said. "I promise."

"You're a musician?" Thomas turned William's hand in his, tracing his rough callouses with gentle fingers. "A skilled one, from the looks of it. You might have a chance at outplaying him."

"Maybe I could teach you, too," William said. "I'd have a much better chance at beating him if I had backup."

"I have a hard time listening to music, much less playing it." Thomas tapped his right ear. "Things have never come through well for me. It's made it easier to resist the Piper's song, but there isn't much I can do to help other people. He strengthens his control over everyone at the—"

A look of sheer terror overcame Thomas's features as high-pitched whistling drowned out his words. As the Piper's notes increased their tempo, William's bones hummed with the urge to follow. To obey.