Chapter Seven - Obstacle

Začať od začiatku

I looked at the door and was convinced that there must be another person standing there. But since no one appeared, I had to look at Domenico, who nodded at me imploringly. Oh, I was meant! But why did she think... "Thanks, I'm fine," I replied, irritated.

"My sister wanted to ask if the cables and IVs could be disconnected." Domenico placed special emphasis on the word sister and continued to look at me meaningfully. Then I understood what this was all about. I nodded slightly at him.

"Of course Mr. Marini. I'll take them off immediately and then we could try to sit you up Miss Marini." She began to loosen the cuff on my arm, then the electrodes that were spread over my upper body, took the clip from my finger and finally turned off the infusion tube. Her hands were trembling and I studiously ignored it. Why couldn't Domenico just wait outside? He didn't take his eyes off the nurse and watched every action carefully. And what's the deal with my name? "So. That was everything. Do you want to change or eat first?"

"Eating, my brothers are coming soon and will bring fresh clothes," Domenico answers for me and I was too embarrassed by his tone to notice the plural. The woman had done nothing wrong and was here to help me. The least she deserved was some level of respect for the work she did. Not that I would ever tell him that, but it still bothered me.

"Yes, of course," she repeated again and, still shaking, pushed herself up the back of the bed. "Then I would come back again and, depending on how Miss Marini is doing, support her while showering?" She asked Domenico. Like me, she probably knew that I wasn't going to make any decision in this room. Domenico just nodded and stepped aside to clear the way to the door. His gesture was unmistakable, and quickly the Nurse disappeared, much to her relief  would be my guess. I reached for the bowl and deliberately avoided looking at him. Unfortunately it wasn't pudding but a kind of milk soup, but food was food. I tried it carefully and since it wasn't hot I dug in.

"Tiny." The soup was probably supposed to taste like strawberries, but I couldn't quite identify the taste."Josephine!" Domenico sounded angry this time and as long as I didn't know how he would react if he was angry, I couldn't risk irritating him further. I looked at him uncertainly. "Listen, Vito and I spoke about it and the last name thing gives us more time. Your case will end up with the social worker who is responsible for Riccardo and Matteo and he first will be busy finding out why there are no documents about you.  In that time, our lawyer submit the formal documents and put pressure on the authorities. So it would be good if you play along until the matter is resolved." The 'matter'. As if having custody of me was a banality. And what did putting pressure mean? Will someone get hurt because of me? Did that mean I might have to go back until this was sorted out? How long did something like that take? 

"So I remain my Name? Do I have to go back till it's sorted?" I was ashamed of the fear in my voice. Couldn't I even be as confident as Domenico?

"Hell no! Vito has his ways of making sure no one gets out of line and yes you are still Josephine Emily Parker." Domenico quickly assured. Relief filled my body. The thought of giving up the Name of my parents, the one that loved and raised me, didn't sit well with me. 

"And otherwise will you ask them nicely?" I tried to lighten the mood and smiled carefully at him before countinuing my eating.

Domenico winked. "Oh don't you worry, I would even ask very nicely."

________________

Vito seemed to be late. At least we had finished breakfast a long time ago and a new nurse had help me to get up. My circulation wasn't stable enough to walk on its own, but the nurse assured me, or rather Domenico, that it was completely normal and would go away soon. In fact, with her help and a strange chair, I was even able to take a shower and the catheter was also removed by her. I was eternally grateful to her for sending Domenico out for both. If it were up to him, he probably would have even check the towels. He seemed to have a compulsion to control all of his surroundings but who was I to jugde?