Chapter Twelve - reindeer antlers

Third Person 

"Why were you still awake?" Josephine asked in the comfortable silence between the two of them. Vito turned from the stove in front of him to her.

"I still had things to do that I didn't get to today and wanted to start preparing for tomorrow so I could have more time for you. Besides, we have chairs to sit on and no kitchen surface." He looked at Josephine disapprovingly. She immediately jumped down and again Vito was surprised at how different she was from his younger brothers. Riccardo would definitely have started arguing and Matteo would have pretended not to hear him. Before Josephine could apologize, Vito lifted her back onto the surface and continued stirring the milk. "We won't tell anyone about this, okay?" He held the spoon imploringly in Josephine's direction.

"No one," she replied immediately, cocking her head to the side. "Not even Domenico? I don't know if I can lie if he asks me!"

Vito chuckled at her concern. "First of all, I don't think he would even care and secondly, he's the exception. But under no circumstances should any of the other three find out. Can you get to the cupboard to the left of you? Would you mind taking two cups out of there?"

"Sure." Josephine did as she was told and handed him the two cups. "And you shouldn't work so late because of me. I'm perfectly capable of managing on my own."

"I don't have the slightest doubt about that. If anyone can manage on their own, it's you. But just because you can, doesn't mean you have to." Vito took the pot off the stove, poured the chocolate into the cups and handed one to Josephine before leaning on the edge of the surface.

She thanked him before carefully taking a sip. Then she remembered what she had actually wanted to ask Valentino. "Can you tell me something about Matteo and Riccardo?"

"Matteo is 16 years old, likes to read and plays soccer. Riccardo is 17 years old, likes to argue and also plays soccer." Vito answered and thought about what else he could say about them without making them look like idiots. "They're...intense. It's best to see for yourself once they get back."

"When are they coming back?" She hoped it would take a while and she would have time to get used to the other three Marinis. From what she heard they would most likely be unhappy with her staying.

"Over the course of next week. Exactly when seems to depend on when they finish the school project."

"Which school is doing a project abroad for students?" asked Josephine, somewhat incredulously.

"A very expensive one, I can tell you. But while we're on the subject anyway, you haven't attended school since you ran away, right?" She shook her head in agreement. "I would like to get you a tutor who will work with you on the content of the last few years until you are ready to go to that fancy school which sent its students abroad. Would that be okay with you?"

Josephine let her shoulders sink in relief. "That would be wonderful, but only if it doesn't cause any inconvenience." She hadn't thought about school yet, but she also didn't want to attract attention because she had such big gaps in her education. "When can I start?"

Vito smiled. "You're probably the first one after Valentino who's happy about school. I would suggest we wait until you've settled in here and I'll look for a suitable teacher in the meantime." Josephine blushed and continued to drink, embarrassed. Vito thought about asking her about therapy too, but decided against it. That certainly wasn't a conversation you should have in the middle of the night.

When they had finished drinking, Vito took the cup from Josephine before putting it in the sink. Without a word he reached out his hand to help her down and she refused to point out that although she was small, she wasn't that small either. Instead she took his hand and slid down."Now it's time to go to bed young lady."