10. Truth behind masks

''Hello, Mr. On.'' A man greeted Ha jun while sipping his tea who took a seat opposite him.
''Im sorry to keep you waiting.''
''It's alright. I dont mind at all. I got a nice tea break.'' The man laughed cynically.
''Our contract ?''
''Ah yes.'' He handed Ha jun a file which held the contract.
''As soon as the city council clears their reconstruction, we can get started on the interior. It'll take about four weeks until we're ready to reopen.''
''Sounds good.'' Ha jun said carefully going through the papers.

''Im handing over the management rights to you because I trust you Mr. On.'' Ha jun's eyes flickered to his phones screen flashing y/n's name.
''When did you ever trust me ? We overbid, didn't we ?'' He picked up his phone and texted y/n he'd call her back in a minute.
''All that's left for us to do is make lots of money.''
''I sent the downpayment.'' Ha jun said interrupting whatever the other was about to say. The latter checked his phone and nodded,
''It just came in. Mr. On, you slipped up just then.''
''I did ?''
''You should've wired the money after I stamped the seal. What if you'd wired the money and I refused to do it ? You'd have ended up losing a massive amount of money.'' The man went on as he stamped the papers.

''Thats the contract taken care of. How about we meet up one day to-- Hang on, what's wrong--'' He immediately fell to the floor, choking, struggling to breathe.
''I went over the contract thoroughly and I make the biggest profit when the contract is defaulted due to the other persons personal reasons. With you out of the way, I become the hotels priority creditor. You slipped up. That is why this is happening to you.'' Ha jun walked off leaving the man to breathe his last.
''Hello, y/n.''
''Im sorry, were you busy ? Did I disturb you earlier ?'' Y/n asked through the phone.
''It's alright. How are you feeling now ?''
''Better, thanks to you. Are you free tonight ? I want to treat you to dinner.''
''Sure, i'll be there.''

Ha jun

After we had dined together, we were walking back to y/n's place. She said she could go alright but I insisted on giving her company. Cause how else would I be able to get to know more about you bae y/n ? The rainbow company, you and me are now tied by an unbreakable string. It will continue to pull us towards each other, if you like it or not.
''Ha jun, Thank you and sorry for yesterday. I--''
''You've already said that six times in an hour.'' I replied with a slight smile. I tone it a little down with y/n, my overly friendly mask.
''Did I rant a lot yesterday ?'' Y/n asked making an apologetic face.
''No, I had fun hearing you talk about your boyfriend.''
''Ha jun, he isn't my boyfriend. He never was. Han wool was just.... I used to like him. He never knew about my feelings cause he was dating someone and liked her a lot. And now they're getting married. I have no hard feelings towards anyone. It was always their story, I was just a side character--'' I know. But I didn't dig deep on your social life on purpose. Where's the fun if I find out everything and just hear you repeat things over ?
''I went on again, didn't I ?''

''Are you usually this chatty ?'' Judging, you're probably not. You only talk to your one friend of a life time, Da hye. The others, you only meet during reunions or weddings.
''I tend to randomly overshare but it depends on the other person too.''
''Are you implying we are close ?'' I said stopping and focusing all my attention on y/n which I know made her feel taken aback.
''Uh, I.....''
''Im very friendly so I easily befriended everyone at Rainbow company. What do you think about me ?'' Y/n thought for a second then replied,
''I think that you're a nice person. You've constantly helped me since the day we met. Everyone at the company are really nice people too so I guess you and they both go together well.''
''You think so ?'' So I am a nice person now, huh ? That's a first. You're views about me are going to change if you ever find out about me.

''You're right, we do go together well. Im moving in to a new place so that getting to work is easier for me. And the place happens to be right where Do gi hyung lives.'' Such a coincidence, isn't it ?
''What, really ? That's great. When do you move in ?''
''Tomorrow.''
''Do you need any help ?''
''Help, maybe not. But i'd like some company.'' She passed me a warm smile.
''Sure, i'll be there then.''

''Here we are. You should go inside.'' I said as we stopped before her house.
''Yeah, you--
Ha jun, how did you open the door to my place yesterday ?'' I thought you'd never ask.
''You told me the passcode, remember ?''
''Did I ? Im sorry I still dont remember half of what happened yesterday.'' And you never will.

•••

''And the real estate ?'' Hyun jo, Geumsa society's executive asked shuffling the profile data of the rainbow company members.
''They've all been liquidated.'' Ha jun replied calmly as ever.
''Did you confirm the bank account the money was wired to ?''
''No.'' Ha jun focused on drinking his tea.

''No ?''''It was wired through institutions in China & then donated

''No ?''
''It was wired through institutions in China & then donated.''
''Is the money being managed through a non profit corporation ?''
''No, it's just as I said. The money was donated.''

''The manager incharge of our real estate fund was also taken out by them. This is partially your fault.
If you hadn't dawdled, this wouldn't have happened. What exactly are you doing over there ? Playing house ?'' Hyun jo blamed the younger.
''Are you kidding me ? It seems to me that you have tunnel vision.'' Ha jun said cockily.
''Tunnel vision ? Then tell me, what use is the girl you're seeing everyday ? She's not even a part of the rainbow company.''

Ha jun's smug smile had faded

Ha jun's smug smile had faded. He gripped tightly onto his tea cup, it would crush any moment if he applied a little more force. He was trying hard to tolerate Hyun jo since the beginning.
''How do you know for sure she isn't with them just because she doesn't work in the company. She was practically raised by Jang Seong Chul, is close with everybody in that Taxi company, even her parents used to work for the Blue Bird foundation. You'd be dumb to exclude her from the list.''

''Then why is her complete information not in my hands like the rest of the rainbow company 'employees' ?'' Hyun jo was just not buying it. There were two possibilities in his mind. First, Ha jun had caught a big fish and refused to share the credit with anyone else. Second, there's another story cooking up that he doesn't know about yet.
''Why dont you leave somethings to me ?'' Ha jun said taking the papers from Hyun jo.
''Stop being a moron & focus on what's important. Dont try to think too much of things and most importantly, dont meddle in my business.''

A/N

Hey readers ! Im back !
How have y'all been ? Since 'Back to you' fanfic is now completed, I am going to continue this one. Thank you for all those who waited long for this. I'll try to update often.

Also, if anyone is feeling frustrated over y/n's naive nature, that's how her character is. I wanted to make her different from 'Lee y/n' of 'Cruel fate' & 'Back to you'. She's not as quick witted, brave, spontaneous or clever like 'lee y/n'. Bae y/n of 'Red lights' is more on the softer personality side. She doesn't question everything and tries to keep a distance from being involved in precarious situations. She cant see through Ha jun's sugar coated words or kind gestures and smiles. That's who she is. But do not mistake that for being immature or dumb.
I hope you'll come to like her character as the story moves forward.