Dr. Chakwas

"Dr. Chakwas," Miranda, the assistant called out trying to catch up to the doctor. "Doctor."

"What is it, Miranda?" she asked continuing her pace.

"Admiral Hackett is on vid com," Miranda replied almost running to catch up. "He wants to speak to you."

"Of course he does," she mumbled heading to her office. "I'm assuming it has something like the explorer vessel being attacked by an alien spacecraft?"

"Yes," Miranda replied. "It's all over the news, the explorer vessel was shot down by an enemy force. Apparently, only one starship was able to escape and make it back."

"Naval Command likes to panic for no reason," Dr. Chakwas muttered as the pulled up the big screen for the vid com.

"Shall I leave?" Miranda asked as the call was patched in.

"Stay," the doctor replied. "I get the feeling we are about to wake up Shepard from a well-deserved nap."

"Yes, ma'am," Miranda replied stepping back a bit to avoid being seen on screen.

"Admiral Hackett," Dr. Chakwas greeted as his face popped in. "What can I do for you?"

"Dr. Chakwas," he greeted in return. "I assume you heard the news?"

"I have," she replied.

The Admiral cleared his throat before continuing.

"Naval Command is not happy with how everything went down," he said. "We encounter an alien life form and we get attacked without warning."

"They already sent out another force to the relay," he continued. "They are hoping that this time the encounter will be different."

"Is there a reason you called me?" Dr. Chakwas asked, hoping he would get to the point.

"Naval Command has approved for Shepard to be awoken from cryosleep," the Admiral said. "They want to prepare for the worst just in case this alien becomes hostile."

"Shepard has been asleep for 20 years," Dr. Chakwas said. "Her implants are out of date. I'm assuming you want her ready as soon as possible?"

"Yes," the Admiral replied. "How soon can you get her upgraded?"

"A week at most," the Doctor replied, ignoring Miranda's almost outburst. "It's hard to say how long it will take for the new upgrades to be synced with her programming."

"I'll let Naval Command to expect Shepard to be awake and fully functioning in two weeks," Admiral Hackett said before signing off.

"Dr. Chakwas," Miranda said as soon as the Admiral had ended the call. "What are you playing at? Shepard could be ready in a few days."

"Miranda," the doctor said turning to face her. "Have you considered the possibility that Shepard won't cooperate?"

Miranda stayed silent, she hadn't considered that possibility.

"The last time Shepard was woken up she helped in the discovery of the Prothean ruins on Mars," Dr. Chakwas said. "She lost a lot of good people trying to get the artifact back to Earth."

"It may be 20 years for some of us but for her," the doctor continued. "To her, it's like everything happened yesterday. She may need time to grieve properly and she may also refuse."

"Come," Dr. Chakwas said grabbing the datapad on Shepard. "Let's wake Shepard and ask her if she wants to help win a war against an alien life force."

"Yes, ma'am," Miranda replied following her.