#7: My Christmas Past

Write-A-Thon Challenge 3.0 ng
AmbassadorsPH, Mayo 2023.

Tema: “September (Flash It!) — School, Grandparents, Christmas Song”
Bilang ng Salita: 300

A glimpse of one’s childhood during Christmas. A tale of genuine bliss and innocence, a tale of nostalgia and longing. For once a child, would the holiday be any different?

Started: September 23, 2023
Finished: September 24, 2023

I’m happily looking outside the car as it travels back home

I’m happily looking outside the car as it travels back home. I’m holding on to my gifts that I received during our  Christmas party at school, we had a little exchange gift after eating a bunch of food like spagetti and fried chicken. I’m so full that my stomach could explode, but I’m still excited to open my gifts because I did not open it when I was there.

When the car reached the house, I hurriedly stepped out. I could run but I don’t want to look lousy, so I just walked into the house. I then saw my grandparents having a little chit-chat. I decided to open my gifts with them because I wanted them to be the first to see it. They were the people I mostly adore.

“Lolo, Lola! Look, I got some gifts! Let’s open them together!” I excitedly told them, I saw them giggle as they both nodded.

“Yes, Christian, open them now because those are yours.” Lola smiled at me, and so as Lolo.

“Open them now, we would like to see what’s inside.” Lolo then spoke.

I then nodded and I quickly tore the wrappers of the presents I’m holding. The first one came as a robot toy, it’s from my friend, Mary. Another one came out as a shirt with my favorite cartoon character printed on it, it was from Joseph.

But as I opened the third gift, I quickly got into my senses. I woke up from a dream as a Christmas song plays as an alarm—thanks to my neighbor. It’s early December and Christmas draws around the corner, I could already feel the soft gentle touch of the cold breeze coming from my window.

“What a nice dream, what a nostalgic dream.” I sighed, grabbing the pictures of my grandparents and slowly hugging it while shedding a tear.

I woke up from a dream, I dreamt that they were still alive. They both died eight years ago in respective dates when I’m only twelve. As far as I could reminisce the times we had together, I couldn’t help but to feel this raging desire to hug them and experience being with them—even in my dreams.

To be a child is fairly blissful, especially in the times of Christmas where one could feel that genuine happiness far from the striking reality of adulthood. That’s what I thought when I celebrated Christmas without my Lolo and Lola, and with life being a tough enemy for me to handle.

Those sound of bells from early dawn, in likeness from the bobtail tone of the near holiday. It is when everything is peaceful, and hoping for life to be better us not even to think about. The joy that the Child Jesus brings, colors of read and blue, colors of a wonderful scene.

I could picture a perfect Christmas from a child’s perspective, in which is my Christmas Past. I stood up from the bed, feeling drowsy opening my window and seeing the busy streets of my hometown filled with parols and ornaments. I smiled.

“I hope that it would be different this year.” I giggled as I hang my parol on my window.