Chapter 8 - An Embrace

The sound of rain pelting hard against the window snapped Shauna back into reality. She looked around in weary haste but calmed quickly once her memory had returned to her. She'd nodded off for a brief moment, with her arms crossed and her head resting on a thick bundle of pillows. With much effort, she sat up to look at Jackie.

The movie was well over an hour and a half in, nearing its end, and Jackie lay on her side, curled up and clutching the blanket with what little strength she had left. Her eyes were half-lidded and glued to the screen, her face void of emotion. It almost looked as if she were asleep.

"Jackie?" Shauna's voice was groggy.

Slowly, her hazel eyes scrolled to the side to catch Shauna's gaze. She turned her head weakly, and her body along with it.

"I'm sorry. I've watched here movie so many times, I actually fell asleep." Shauna dragged a hand down her face.

"Don't be sorry." Jackie found herself smiling. "It's your house. You sleep if you want to."

"Not if I have a visitor over."

"It's fine. I'm not just some visitor, after all. We're friends." Jackie's head lolled to the side, directing her attention back to the movie. "You were out for about an hour."

Shauna heaved a sigh. She rubbed the back of her neck.

"I envy you. I wish I could sleep like that again."

Guilt bubbled up within Shauna's chest. She'd realized just how rude that was, falling asleep so easily in front of a person whose biggest struggle was just that.

"How... insensitive of me..." She furrowed her brow, mentally scolding herself.

"Don't cry over it." Jackie shifted as she lay down, sticking a leg out to kick Shauna. "The movie kept me company. It's very good. Kind of confusing, but good. I'll have to watch it again."

Strange. Jackie was such a strange one. She seemed to be unfazed by many things, and blatant about others, blurting sentences out that didn't seem to have much thought behind them. Shauna doubted that she'd ever have Jackie over again, so hearing her say 'I'll have to watch it again,' didn't sit too well with her.

Shauna twisted her lips to the side and decided to bring up something else. "Are you tired?"

"Exhausted," Jackie answered honestly.

"Close your eyes for the time being." Shauna kicked her legs out of bed with much effort and stood on her feet. "I'll get us some water." She left the room quickly, leaving Jackie by her lonesome.

After several seconds, she'd returned to see that Jackie had changed her position in bed entirely. She lay on her back, with her head on some of Shauna's pillows. Her hands rested on her stomach, the dark blanket surrounding her from behind, but slipping off just enough for her torso to be exposed. Her head rested against the bed, slumped to the side, facing away from Shauna.

Again, if she hadn't known any better, Shauna would have figured that Jackie was already fast asleep. She approached her bedside silently. The room was dark, apart from the soft orange glow that her lamp gave off.

She set the drinks down and shuffled into bed as if trying not to wake the other. Lying on her back, she stared at the ceiling.

No words were exchanged for what seemed like forever before Shauna spoke up.

"How does it feel? To not be able to sleep?"

Jackie's answer was delayed. "Awful." She turned her head in the opposite direction, facing Shauna now. "I can barely keep my eyes open by day, and can barely keep them closed by night." She snorted in laughter.