Chapter 1 - Chance Encounter

DISCLAIMER: This fanfiction was very heavily inspired by the Bokuaka fanfiction, "In Another Life" by littleluxray on AO3. By no means do I own this story. This is just for "fun" and a different spin on this story with a different set of characters.

It had been some time since Shauna set foot into that hospital.

It was a dreary place for her, a place she was not fond of, but a place she was obligated to visit. Shauna's parents were intent on having her intern in a hospital nearby so that she could stockpile more things that would look good on her resume, for her time at Brown University. She didn't care for hospital settings though, her real passion was in writing and journalism.

Oftentimes, however, Shauna would disagree with her parents, unhappy with the suggestions they'd given her. But ultimately, they would urge her to carry out the task that had been pushed on her, and one way or another, she'd do it.

Asking around here and there, the young woman  put little to no effort in finding out where she could go to sign up for what. She didn't care, nor did she think she would care in the near future. Shauna was unhappy with where she was, unhappy with what it was that she was doing. She was wasting time, asking for something that she did not want in the least.

Pointing a finger down the hall, a small assistant nurse directed Shauna to a different desk, one where she would be able to find more information on the subject. Blatantly, she thanked her, and continued on her way, passing by several rooms as she did so.

Her eyes were set forward. She didn't look into any of the rooms. She didn't want to. It would hurt if she did.

Shauna closed her eyes and sighed, swaying absentmindedly in her step, opening her eyes just in time to swiftly avoid colliding with someone.

A doctor- no- just another person.

She circled around the woman, apologizing flatly before she continued on. An 'It's alright,' could be heard from behind her, but it soon faded as Shauna continued forward.

Do I really want to be here?

Her eyes stared forward, uninterested in the information desk several meters from her.

No, I really don't.

Standing still, Shauna remained in place for quite some time, her legs refusing to carry her further. People walked by her, around her, up and down the halls, to and fro, but no one seemed to notice her. She stood there, hesitant, uninterested, indifferent.

Unfeeling.

She remained in place silently. No one was bothered by her, so there she stood. She raised a hand to push through her brown hair, and slowly, her head fell forward. Shauna stared at her shoes.

What am I doing?

The thought rattled her mind.

Why am I even here?

Another person walked by at a gradual pace at first, then slowed progressively as they drew near. Their walking then slowed to a halt, and it was then that Shauna had become aware of the new individual who'd invaded her personal space.

From her peripheral, Shauna could see their hand reaching out to her.

She withdrew and looked up.

"Oh- you can move." She smiled in Shauna's direction, bright hazel eyes catching her own. It had been the same girl she'd almost bumped into... Perhaps she'd remained in the hall and watched as Shauna had gone from a brisk walk to a sudden stop. She understood how that would be alarming to some people.

"Is there something wrong with me standing here?" Shauna asked sincerely.

"No, I don't think so." She brought her hand down to her side. "Why did you stop so suddenly? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. I was just thinking." Shauna blinked slowly.

"Of what?"

A question asker. How thrilling.

"Of this hospital. I've realized that I don't want to come here anymore."

The girl who stood across from Shauna shifted her weight to one leg. "Were you sick? Are you checking out?"

Shauna stared through the stranger. "No. I'm not sick, but this place makes me feel like I am." Her answer was cold but did not seem to cut through the other's pleasant mood.

"I feel the same about this place, honestly." She paused. "So you must be leaving soon, then."

"Yeah." Shauna shifted, leaning in the direction of where she'd come from.

She had no interest in staying where she was. Her only intention was to leave. She figured she would tell her parents that the people in the hospital were too occupied with everything else to tend to her. She started on her way without so much as a second glance in the other's direction. "Have a good one."

"Hey, Hey!"

Shauna turned her head. "What?"

"What's your name?"

Why did she want to know her name? When would she ever use it again? The stranger could have been a patient at the hospital for all Shauna knew, and the last thing she needed was a sickly acquaintance to add to her already short list of friends.

"You don't need to know."

The girl across from her did well in hiding the look of offense that almost surfaced on her face. "I understand. But for what it's worth, my name is Jackie, Jackie Taylor"

Shauna cast a weary look in Jackie's direction, gave a nod, and continued on her way until she was out of the building.