Chapter 6: Cold Shoulder

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes at the antic, because I knew it was an attempt to get back at Rimuru for the punishment we'd given them.

After that, Aoki seemed to notice Velzard, as they visibly focused on her magical presence. They seemed at least somewhat frightened, but they'd be safe anywhere in this city, even with another True Dragon.

"Take another form, that one is cute, but I wouldn't want anyone to mistake you for a normal slime today." Velzard gestured forward, offering to pick up Aoki.

{{Father... Is it safe? This is Mother's dangerous sister... The one that made the cold.}} Aoki still seemed to remember their life before being named, which I found interesting in itself. I had passingly hoped they would not, but with their will being as strong as it is... It was unfortunately likely.

I looked at them and gave a soft nod, since they still needed practice with human mannerisms.

"Alright..." Aoki changed into human form, and carefully hopped off the desk. They still seemed reluctant to approach Velzard.

"Go ahead, she is your Aunt. I can understand being afraid from your earlier meetings, but she could be credited at least partially with your birth. So please don't be rude." I had to explain things in full, otherwise our little one would perhaps never be able to get over this.

"I-.. See." Aoki carefully approached Velzard, before taking her hand. "Will... I go with you today?..."

Velzard picked up Aoki without giving the slime no choice in the matter. "Yes. I have a lot to do with you today, and I've reserved it all ahead of time."

"Please be safe, Aoki. Additionally, as Rimuru set the same rule with Velgrynd, you may not leave the city with them, Velzard." I glared softly, to make sure the dragon knew I was serious.

She responded by rolling her eyes subtly. "I get it."

"Father, when I get back can I sit in your lap?" It was a cute question, but I had to decline.

"No, you may not. You are still being punished." I steeled myself slightly, I had made a note of it perhaps being difficult to say no to Aoki if I became totally attached to them in a similar way to my darling.

Soon, Velzard had left the room with our child. It left me to keep practicing my impression of Rimuru with his subordinates.

Velzard's POV

I picked up the little one and set them on my shoulders, as I knew it was easiest to carry a child in this way from my observation of humans in the past

I spent much time trying to rationalize why my big brother would favor them so much, especially when I was around to dote on instead.

Big brother knew best most of the time, but I've had to question him much more deeply ever since I first met Rimuru. While it can't be said that Rimuru hates humans by any stretch, he certainly doesn't favor them. Not anymore at least, I heard there was a time he did.

Instead, Rimuru treats humans with a friendly indifference, mainly using cooperation with them for his own benefit, even if he sees something more in a limited few of them.

It made me curious how this new child of his would treat them, but I had much more to focus on with them. As I found myself dwelling on the past again, simply of habit.

Aoki seemed to be staring down at me cautiously despite my attempt at creating an air of comfort, and while it would be a lie to say I wasn't irritated by that; I knew I still couldn't react in a way which showed that.

Instead, I decided to just push the child on why. "Why do you seem so frightened?" I pushed open the door to the palace as I finally stepped out onto the street.