Chapter 5: Stupid Human

Start from the beginning

"But... if you only focus on that one thing, you might miss other stuff that's important to you! Like keeping your friends safe, or making sure you're doing the right thing; you can't just ignore everything but winning!"

"If other things become more important you should just change your objective to account for it." Aoki was able to respond immediately, it almost didn't seem like she thought about it for even a moment. I remembered the times Rimuru had mentioned Thought Acceleration as a result.

So I had to guess Aoki just didn't feel the need to make it look like decisions took time for her.

"I guess... But how would you always know what's most important? Wouldn't that kinda thing leave you conflicted?"

"I've never been unable to decide what is most important."

"But, you're a baby! So that isn't that weird..."

Aoki seemed even more annoyed for a moment. "Hinata seems to think I don't always know what is best, but I never got close to killing you."

"Yeah... But maybe it's because she thinks you haven't actually listened to the objective right? I mean, I think when she said you should try to hit me, she meant in ways that are hard. Like, punching, or shooting something at me." I remembered back to how Aoki had intentionally missed me to make me dodge into a puddle of slime they'd left on the ground. I then got badly burned.

"But what will that teach me?"

"Maybe you won't always be able to use the tricks you normally use? I dunno... It could also be an honor thing." I did know Hinata seemed to care a great deal about her own sense of right and wrong.

"What is honor?"

I was at a loss on how to explain it since it wasn't exactly something I was certain about myself. It's just something I'd picked up on secondhand from others over time.

"Well, you know, like... Playing fair? Holding back when you know what you could do isn't right?"

"How isn't it right, if it fulfills the objective?"

"Well, I have a lot of objectives... Or, maybe just one. But I want to do it the right way, because if I did it wrong, it wouldn't really be fulfilled."

Aoki stayed silent at that, although I think I could tell that they were thinking. It didn't happen right away that time.

At that moment, Hinata once again opened up the big stone door to the chamber. "I'm back, neither of you caused any problems while I was gone, right?" She seemed to be holding something, and when I focused I realized it was a tiny slime. Not that much bigger than Aoki was when Rimuru first brought them back.

I could feel it, as Aoki stared at the slime from across the room, she badly wanted to cause it harm... It actually seemed like she wanted to kill it. That wasn't really something I was expecting, so I didn't exactly know what to say to calm them down.

"Mhm. Just like I thought. I noticed you had gotten rid of those slimes in Rimuru's office when we were leaving... It was quite devious to use a spell to kill them like that." Hinata did seem both genuinely concerned even bridging on disturbed, but also a little bit happy she was right. "You can't touch this one though, not yet."

Aoki didn't seem to care about what Hinata was saying, as I saw a small black cloud form in front of her and try to strike the little guy with lightning.

Hinata just held her hand out and blocked it, not really seeming that concerned. The lightning simply dissipated on contact.

Aoki got frustrated, but sat down. She was clearly in no mood to talk, so I didn't want to try. I felt I might get attacked if I tried.