15. Tension

Just as I promised his sister, I didn't keep Alec long after he showed me to our room.
I set my bags down by the foot of the bed and began unpacking a few things before losing steam and laying down. As I lay in bed with my eyes shut I wondered if I could stay there forever. If I pretended to be asleep, could I get out of my obligation of being reintroduced to the royal family?

Eventually, pretending to be asleep became a genuine slumber and I slept soundly until Alec gently woke me up a few hours later.

"What do you want?" I grumbled when I finally realized that he wasn't going to leave me alone. I rolled over on my side to look at him, still clutching my pillow.

"I've brought you something to eat," he said brightly. Being home had home done him some good, he seemed more energetic and optimistic already.

The mention of food caught my attention and it was the only reason I made myself get out of bed. The opportunity to spend time with Alec would usually be enough, but the sooner I saw Alec meant the sooner I'd have to see the rest of his family.

Alec and I went to the small lounge area in the corner of the room, which consisted of two couches and a coffee table in between them. There was a platter on the coffee table that was covered in breakfast foods.

"How was your nap?" Alec asked me as I munched on some food.

"It was good," I replied. "I wish it were longer, though."

"I'm sorry," he said sincerely. "I knew it was about the time of day you get hungry again."

I felt bad about being cranky now knowing that he was just trying to be considerate.

"That's true," I said before thanking him. "I didn't realize that you noticed."

"Oh course, I did. I want you to be as comfortable as possible."

"I appreciate the effort," I said.

We sat in silence for a moment as I ate.

"How is everyone?" I asked, unable to avoid talking about his family anymore.

"They're good! They're glad I'm back. I've been gone for months now."

"Sorry," I said. I hoped they wouldn't hold that against me.

"It was for a good cause."

"I guess you did get what you wanted," I pointed out.

"Of course I did."

I gave Alec a look, curious about what he meant by that.

"My solution is the one that makes the most sense. There's no way I could realistically stay with the Cullens," Alec said, getting haughty.

"I'm only here until they calm down, then I'm going to talk to them again," I said.

"You're supposed to give my coven a chance."

"Based on your behavior back in Forks, you didn't give my coven a fair shot, either."

"They were hostile from the start."

"You egged them on."

"And what would you prefer that I do?" Alec asked, frustration coloring his voice. "They were attacking my character."

"So? I played along with your sister," I pointed out.

"Jane has been nothing but kind and accommodating."

"For now," I replied plainly.

"You assume the worst in my family, just like the rest of yours," Alec said, growing bitter.

"I'm sorry, it's just—" I struggled to think of what to say next.

"You shouldn't apologize if you don't mean it."

"Don't tell me what I do and don't mean, please," I replied tartly. I didn't like having words put in my mouth.

We sat in pointed silence.

"Perhaps now isn't the best time for you to meet my parents," Alec stated. He made it sound like it was supposed to be a punishment when really he was doing me a favor.

"Fine. If you really think so," I replied, crossing my arms over my stomach.

Alec looked annoyed. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he chose not to. "Are you done with your plate?" he asked instead. "I can take it for you."

"Are you really going to run away right now because we're having a disagreement?" I asked.

Alec stood up and started stacking dishes. "You're being sassy," was all he said in return.

"I'm not. I'm allowed to be frustrated, too."

"Why did you say it like that? I'm not preventing you from doing anything you please. Or are you judging me, too."

"Alec, would you stop?" I asked sharply. I felt like he was guilt tripping me left and right and it wasn't productive at all.

"Do you need anything while I'm out?" he asked; His polite behavior felt forced.

"No, thank you," I replied, equally contrived. "Will you be coming back?"

"No, but you're more than welcome to join me."

I had no desire to leave the room and risk running into anyone - literally anyone at all.

"I didn't think so," Alec said, his cool mask hardly covering his bitter feelings. He left the room without further comment.

Agitated and flustered, I busied myself with unpacking, hoping that keeping myself occupied would help me cool down. It did, a little, and by the time I was done I'd begun to understand why Alec was being so defensive. Even though I didn't like the way the conversation went, or the way he behaved in front of my family, that didn't mean I had to half my efforts, as well. I wanted our relationship to work, and I'd agreed to go out and spend time with Alec's family, so the best thing I could do was suck up my sour feelings and get out there to meet the royal family - again.

Don't Let Me Be Yours - Alec VolturiOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara