3. Summons

A crisp, cool breeze ruffled my hair as I read on the front porch of the Cullen home; it was a light, partly cloudy autumn day and I was enjoying the fresh air, reading and swinging slightly on the bench swing that hung above the wrap around porch at the front of the house. I wrapped my thick navy knit cardigan tighter around my shoulders and turned the page; I was just about halfway through Anna Karenina and I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Just as I was reaching the end of another chapter, I saw Esme walk around the side of the house, toward the front door, with a white envelope in her hand and a look of concern on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her as she walked up the steps of the porch. I didn't want to mince words.

"Nothing, darling," she replied sweetly. "Carlisle has gotten a letter in the mail from the Volturi today, is all."

"Why?" I asked as I closed my book and got to my feet.

"I'm not sure," Esme admitted, pushing the front door open. "We will know shortly. I'm sure Carlisle won't want to wait to read the contents of this letter."

I thanked her as she held the front door open and I followed her into the house.
The Volturi hadn't been in contact with our coven since before I'd joined; at least twenty years ago. I couldn't imagine what they could possibly want now.

Without needed to be prompted, the whole coven assembled in the living room, cautiously curious about what the Volturi has to say. Edward and Bella appeared to be miffed straight away, whereas Alice and Renesmee looked concerned. Jasper looked aloof, and Emmett and Rosalie already looked agitated.

Carlisle, on the other hand, seemed perfectly calm and collected as the took the envelope from Esme and thanked her with a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"What could Aro possibly want from us?" Bella asked as Carlisle neatly tore the envelope open.

"There's no need to assume this is negative," Carlisle replied; he pulled out the contents of the envelope, which was a simple card written in elegant script.

"What is it?" Rosalie asked, failing to curb her impatience.

"It's a note," Carlisle said, "and an invitation."

"What does is say?" Emmett asked.

"My old friend Carlisle," Carlisle read the note aloud, "I've recieved news of yet another addition to your coven. It's such a shame I didn't hear the news directly from you. Regardless, my brothers and I are curious to meet the latest Cullen in person. We're hosting a ball at our home on November 1st and we encourage you and your coven to make an appearance. It really has been too long since the last time we crossed paths. Perhaps this time things between us will end on a lighter note. I send my best regards, Aro."

"That's...nice," I said. The letter was polite, and oddly cordial considering the true nature of the relationship between our two covens.

"I wouldn't be so quick to draw that conclusion," Edwards said darkly.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It may sound like an innocent invitation, but I cannot imagine we have much of a choice," Edward said.

"It was weird," Alice agreed. "The context is just...uhg."

"There's no way we can go," Bella said, protectively reaching out to intertwine her arm with Renesmee's. "It won't be safe for Renesmee."

"I doubt it would be safe for any of us," Jasper pointed out.

"Yeah," Bella said, "but Aro seems to want to meet Indy, that's it. There's no need for Renesmee to be there."

"Or you?" Emmett smirked at Bella. "Chicken."

"Emmett!" Rosalie hissed, bopping his arm with her palm.

"I'm just playing," he chucked. He quieted down when he realized that no one else was laughing.

"I think it would be best if we all went, Bella," Carlisle said. "Aro and his brothers would see it as a sign of disrespect if only some of us made an appearance."

"And we all know a slight against them could easily become fatal," Edward added.

"Edward, we can't take her," Bella pleaded.

"I assure you, I want her to stay behind just as much as you do, but we don't
have a choice, Bella," he repeated.

"It's just one evening," Esme said in an attempt to calm the group.

"Yes," Carlisle said, backing Esme up. "All we have to do is spend an hour or two in the company of their guests and then we can peacefully return home."

"Quick and easy," Jasper said ambiguously. I couldn't tell if he actually felt as optimistic as Carlisle did on the matter.

"It'll be fine, Mom," Renesmee assured Bella with hug. Bella returned her hug and silently accepted defeat.

"Don't worry, you guys," I said as the pressure mounted, "I promise I wouldn't humiliate the family and/or get us all killed." I was trying to make a joke, but it understandably didn't land.

"Nothing is going to happen," Carlisle assured us. "It will be a quiet night. Nothing out of the ordinary will happen and we will be back home in a flash."

"It will be nothing more than a tense, somewhat awkward memory," Alice said.

"Cheers to that!" Emmett chimed in.

"Somewhat awkward, indeed," Edward muttered dismally.

Well, at least some of us were feeling optimistic about it.