Chapter 3: The First Day of Class

Our first day of real classes began today, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Chabashira-sensei spent most of our class time explaining the course objectives for the semester. I was hoping that at this school for the elite students of the country, the syllabus would be more advanced, but my expectations were crushed as the topics we would cover were explained.

While I suppose that we would be taught at an accelerated pace compared to an average high school, I was expecting a far more rigorous curriculum. Not that it would really matter in my case. I guess you could think of me as something like an incompetent genius. That's the best way I can think of to describe my unique circumstances.

The entire time I've taken part in traditional schooling, I have yet to encounter any material that wasn't drilled into me as a child. Everything from the basics of education through rook polynomials and the physics of fluid dynamics. We were force-fed knowledge every day from as far back as I can remember. If I had to guess, it would take another 6-7 years of schooling before we would catch up to the topics I studied by age 7. Although, I bet that probably sounds ludicrous coming from someone who wasn't even top of her class in middle school.

All that knowledge is swimming around in my head, but every time I try and take a test or answer a question in a semi-stressful situation, my mind goes blank. It's filled with memories of white walls and endless tasks. Ever since that fateful day, my mind and my memories have been my enemy. Even now, 8 years removed from that place, I guess I still haven't really left.

As Chabashira continued to explain the course objectives, I looked around the classroom. I saw Sudou was barely awake and clearly not paying any attention. Some of the girls were on their phones, and some of the boys were reading manga on a tablet. I'm sure Chabashira-sensei noticed, so I can't believe she just let this slide. I keep making more and more odd observations about the school, and I can't help but wonder if any of them are connected.

Only a few of my classmates looked like they were paying attention to Chabashira-sensei's explanation. Hirata, the boy who started the class introductions, a boy with glasses who I believe said his name was Yukimura, Kushida, the girl who said she wanted to be friends with everyone, and a few others. The raven-haired girl who sits next to me was taking diligent notes; she seems like the type of person who takes her studies very seriously. I really need to learn her name.

Once Chabashira-sensei finished her explanation of the syllabus, she asked if any of us had questions. Unsurprisingly, nobody did. I figure that the people who paid attention didn't have any questions, and everyone else didn't care.

"Alright, class, the rest of the time today is yours. Feel free to introduce yourselves with the remaining class time. If you would rather, you may leave as well." With that, she opened the door to the classroom and left.

I guess now is as good a time as any to try and learn the name of the girl sitting to my left.

"Hi, since we didn't get a chance to speak yesterday, my name is Shinomiya. What's yours?" I was hoping that she would introduce herself this time since she wasn't reading a book, but fate was cruel.

"Sorry, but I don't have any interest in making friends. Excuse me." She walked past me out of the classroom with the same cold expression I've seen her with this whole time.

"Her name is Horikita," I heard Ayanokouji say out of the blue. "She told me yesterday when I ran into her shopping after the entrance ceremony."

I hadn't expected Ayanokouji to just talk to me normally, but I supposed I would have to get used to him being my classmate.

"I see. I didn't think she had introduced herself to anyone yet, given her attitude."

"I doubt she has spoken to anyone else. It's probably a miracle she spoke to me at all. I guess I should feel honored."