Chapter 2: A New School Life

I was having a hard time focusing during the entrance ceremony, although after the conversation I just had, that should be understandable. I still find it hard to believe that he, of all people, would be here, but I had confirmed that it was definitely the same boy I knew from that place. There was no mistake.

I had met up with Miyuki in the gym right before the ceremony was set to begin. "Kaguya, are you alright?" he asked with a slightly worried look on his face. I realized that my actions had likely seemed panicked to him, and Miyuki had no idea about my connection to Ayanokouji. Although I planned on keeping it that way, for now at least.

"I'm fine, nothing to worry about. I just thought I saw someone I used to know and I was going to say hi, but it was actually someone else." I looked at him with a smile on my face, feeling a slight pang of guilt for having to lie to him. "Oh, I see. Well, we will have lots of chances to make new friends now, right?"

His optimism was something that I still hoped would rub off on me some more. "Sounds great."

"Esteemed faculty and promising young students, welcome to the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School."

As I heard a man at the front of the gym, all the students began to quiet down.

"My name is Narumori Sakayanagi, and I am the chairman of the school. At the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, we do not merely aim to educate; we aspire to nurture well-rounded individuals who will contribute positively to society. Our commitment to excellence is unwavering, and we have created an environment that fosters creativity, critical thinking, and a global perspective."

"I encourage you to embrace every opportunity that comes your way. Seek knowledge not just within the confines of the classroom but also in every challenge you face during your time here. Here, you will be challenged, tested, and pushed to your limits. But it is in those moments of challenge that you will discover your true potential."

"I am expecting great things from this year's class. I have confidence that your time here will be marked by achievement and success. I look forward to seeing what each of you can achieve here and beyond."

"Welcome once again, students."

His speech was short but eloquent, and about what I expected for a school of this pedigree.

"Now I will invite some of my fellow staff members to provide you with some information about our campus and facilities here."

As other staff members began telling us about the amenities, we had access to, and where everything was located, I noticed something I found odd. The four classes of the first years all seemed to follow a pattern.

Class A, all the way on the left side of the gym, seemed to be the most composed and were paying close attention to the speakers. Class B next to them was mostly the same, although a few students seemed to be having personal conversations. Class C was a larger shift as most of their class didn't seem to be paying attention at all. They were tuned out or talking amongst themselves. Finally, my class, Class D, was the worst-behaved of the bunch. I could almost count on one hand the number of people actively listening to the teachers who were speaking.

My odd observations about this school were piling up.

I was beginning to wonder if there was something going on with the school, something behind the scenes we first years didn't know about. I would have to give it some more thought.

After the entrance ceremony, Miyuki and I decided to explore the campus and do some shopping.

"I can't believe how big the campus is." Miyuki's normally composed face looked almost like a kid in a candy store.