atwa

Daron woke up and saw multiple calls and frantic texts from John and Shavo.

Daron called Shavo back who picked up at the first ring.

"Fuck, wha-" Daron tried but Shavo cut him off.

"Serj is in the hospital. You need to come quick." Shavo said.

"Tell him I can't." Daron said. Trying to hide all the scared questions like what happened? Is he going to be okay?

"I think he'd really appreciate you being here. He's uhh... he's asking for you." Shavo said quietly.

"Tell him to fuck himself." Daron said and he meant it. So why was he getting up and putting his pants on and grabbing the keys?

"Daron. Please." Shavo begged.

Daron sighed, pretending like he wasn't in his car getting ready to find what hospital Serj is in.

"What hospital is he in?" Daron asked, giving in.

Daron rushed in and walked into Serj's room. He first saw Shavo and then Serj wrapped up in wires and bandages. Daron used to imagine Serj like this, how good he'd look. But not right now. Not when his heart is turning painfully at the sight of him like this.

"What happened?" Daron asked quickly peeling his eyes away and looking down at the floor.

"He got into a car crash. Doctor says he might not be able to walk again." Shavo said.

Daron closed his eyes and clenched his jaw to attempt to hide the pain in his face. Daron shuddered and opened them again.

"You said he was asking for me?" Daron questioned.

"Yeah. I'll leave you guys alone." Shavo said. Daron wanted to stop him but watched him walk out and close the door behind him.

Daron sat down on a chair next to Serj's bed and hesitantly grabbed his hand. Daron forgot how much Serj's hand seemed to fit into his. Daron squeezed it and rested his forehead against their intertwined fingers. He realized Serj was squeezing back and Daron looked up, his heart beating.

Serj smiled and was gonna say something but ended up coughing and wheezing painfully.

"Do I finally have your attention?" Serj asked quietly. If Daron wasn't paying attention to him he wouldn't have heard it.

But he did. He heard it clearly.

Daron felt angry. He wanted to tell Serj how much of an asshole he was. Daron pulled his hand away and glared at Serj.

"So you purposely crashed into someone's car? To what? Get back at me? To get my attention?" Daron asked. He got up and looked towards the door.

"Daron! Daron please!" Serj wheezed. He grabbed his arm and Daron sat still. Listening to Serj's painful grunts and his labored breathing.

Daron sat back down and Serj intertwined their fingers again. Daron ignored the gesture and just looked away.

"Daron look at me." Serj said.

But Daron was too stubborn. He continued to face away like Serj didn't even exist. Serj sighed but chuckled. Daron lowered his eyebrows in frustration. He didn't want Serj to see the blush on his face but he also wanted to know what the fuck he was chuckling about.