Chapter 13

Marlena was eating lunch in her office, when there was a knock at the door. She swallowed the last bite of her sandwich, "Come in!" She smiled when Carrie walked through the door carrying a few smoothies. "There's one of my favorite girls... carrying one of my favorite drinks." She walked over to Carrie and hugged her then took the offered beverage. Marlena went back to her chair as Carrie took the one in front of the desk. "So how's work been today?"

Marlena smiled. "Tiring... but honey you don't need to check up on me all the time. I'm okay..." Carrie simply raised her eyebrow causing Marlena to laugh. "How do you have so many of his traits when you share no DNA?"

Carrie laughed with a shrug. "Osmosis?" They both laughed. "And to clarify, I'm not checking up on you... exactly. I have a volunteer shift today since I have no classes."

Marlena nodded fractionally. "My apologies."

Carrie smirked. "Forgiven. I actually wanted to ask you if you had heard from Roman?"

Marlena had long stopped fighting with Carrie about referring to her father by his given name... at least she didn't do it to his face. She shrugged as she sipped her drink. "No, not since he walked out the other night."

Carrie nodded sadly. "So... he hasn't even called to see how you are?" Marlena gave a small shake of her head. "What an ass..."

Marlena looked at her sternly. "Carrie..."

"Okay... okay I'm sorry... for saying it... but he is! You just got out of the hospital a little over a week ago and he can't even check on you?"

Marlena looked at her lovingly. "Sweetheart, I told him I had a bleeding ulcer. That doesn't exactly warrant him hovering over me." She set her drink aside... steepling her hand in front of her on the desk. "Besides... I'm sure he's pretty ticked at me."

Carrie giggled. "I'm sorry for laughing... but I was pretty shocked myself. It's not like you to give ultimatums like that. Did you mean it?"

Marlena nodded adamantly. "Absolutely! I will not tolerate this nonsense with the ISA anymore." She stood throwing her empty drink into the garbage. She walked to her filing cabinet. "And I shouldn't even be discussing this with you." She began to pull some files out.

Carrie walked over beside her and leaned against the cabinet. "Why not? I'm a part of this family too. And we have established that the choices you and Roman make affect us all."

Marlena sighed. "True... but there's not time to discuss it right now." Carrie rolled her eyes making Marlena laugh. "I'm not putting you off... I just have a huge board meeting to go to." She looked at her watch. "And I do believe you have a shift starting soon."

Carrie kissed Marlena on the cheek. "So not fair!" She started heading towards the door. "I have a short shift today... I will order the pizza when I get home!

"Okay honey... don't forget it's Sami's turn to pick the movie!"

"I remember... oh I forgot something..." She pulled a manilla envelope out of her purse. "Can you drop this by the Pub on your way home, please?" Marlena looked at the envelope sadly for just a moment, Carrie catching the fleeting look on her face. " I'm sorry, that is so insensitive of me."

Marlena swallowed the lump in her throat. "No... no it's not it's okay. I will take it. What time does that young boy usually come?"

"6... if you get there early you can just give it to Grandma... she'll take care of it." Marlena took the envelope and held it tightly in her grip just staring at John's name scrawled across the front of it. "Marlena..."

She cleared her throat. "I'm okay honey... I'll make sure it gets there in time." She smiled brightly. "Now shoo... I have a meeting to get to." Carrie smiled sadly and walked out, closing the door behind her. Marlena plopped down heavily in her chair staring at the envelope that sat in front of her on her desk. Turning it over in her hands she noticed that the envelope wasn't sealed. "Should I?" She quickly pulled out a pad of paper and a pen from the drawer when her intercom buzzed to life.

"Dr. Evans... just a reminder you have that board meeting in 10 minutes."

Marlena grunted in frustration pressing the intercom button. "Thank you Cynthia!" She grabbed the envelope and paper and shoved it into the desk drawer, gathering up her files and heading to the door.

~~~~~

Victor sighed with frustration. "I strongly disagree! If this hospital wants to get the funding it so richly deserves, we need to be represented at this conference!"

One of the board member's hesitated before continuing. "Mr. Kiriakis, with all due respect, the cost of sending someone to Italy for several weeks, getting them lodging and an expense account is more than we can justify spending."

Victor waved them off. "Fair point. So I am willing to set this person up at my personal residence in Italy for the duration of the trip, they can even travel by my personal jet. My entire staff will be at their disposal."

A collective gasp was heard from all. Mike Horton spoke up first. "Mr. Kiriakis that is extremely generous!"

Victor sat up straight. "Which should show how extremely serious I am about someone representing us at this conference!"

Alice Horton spoke next, "Okay... since you are footing the bill so to speak... Do you have a recommendation as to who should go?"

Victor nodded. "Thank you for asking, as a matter of fact I do." He smirked and looked across the table. "I think Dr. Evans should go."

Marlena's eyes grew large. "I'm sorry... what?"

Victor smiled. "I think you are the perfect one to represent us at this conference."

"Why me... there are MANY talented and successful doctors in this hospital!"

Victor smirked. "Because it's the Psychiatric Association Conference... and you are the head of the Psychiatry Department here at the hospital."

Marlena drew a deep breath. "Victor... Mr. Kiriakis... we have other well respected Psychiatrists here on staff!" Marlena's eyes glanced around the room. "Laura... what about Dr. Horton?" Laura gave Marlena a sly "why do you hate me" stare.

Victor caught the look and laughed under his breath and shrugged. "Alice asked for my opinion, and I offered it. As it is we have till our next board meeting to decide, which is two weeks from today." He stood and buttoned his suit jacket, as everyone rose to depart the boardroom.

Laura gathered her files. "Well thank you so much dear friend, offering me up as a lamb to the slaughter!" She laughed.

Marlena huffed, shoving papers into a folder. "I swear that man gets a kick out of torchering me!"

"Ah yes... spending a month and a half in a mansion in Italy with servants waiting on you hand and foot... sounds like utter hell."

Marlena smirked. "Then by all means... have at it."

Laura stood in front of her. "I'm not the one Victor recommended."

Marlena stood straight and gathered her files, smiling brightly at Laura. "Well... Mr. Kiriakis needs to learn that he can't get everything he wants. And in this case... he won't." She stepped around Laura and headed briskly out the door.

Laura rolled her eyes with laughter and followed her friend. Victor entered the elevator behind Laura. "Dr. Horton... I hope you don't take offense to my suggesting Marlena for this trip?"

She shook her head. "Not at all. But I don't think you'll be pleased with the outcome."

The elevator chimed and as Laura was about to exit Victor grabbed her arm gently. "Laura... convince her to go."

She shrugged. "And why should I?"

"I know that this may be difficult, but trust me... it's in her best interest to go." He smiled and stepped back into the elevator figuratively tipping his hat to Laura as the doors closed.