Chapter 5

Marlena's hand was becoming sore from banging on the big oak door. "Victor! It's Marlena... Marlena Evans!" With her fist mid knock the door swung open.

"Dr. Evans, how can I help you?"

Marlena tried to calm her breathing. "Henderson hello, it is imperative that I speak to Victor, is he here?"

Henderson waved her in. "Please have a seat in the parlor, I will go see if he is available. Can I get you anything?"

Marlena walked in and tentatively looked around. "No, thank you. I just need to see Victor." He nodded and went in search of his boss. Marlena took a seat on the sofa, but jumped slightly when something dug into her thigh. "What the..." She tugged the object out from between the sofa cushions. "This... this is Brady's rattle. He had this at Shawn and Caroline's!" She sat up a bit straighter, letting herself feel a little bit of hope. "They were here."

Victor entered the room startling Marlena, she put the rattle behind her back. "Marlena, good to see you as always. What can I do for you?"

"I came to ask you, if you know where John and Brady are..."

Victor shrugged. "No, I can't say that I do. Have you tried the loft?"

Marlena sighed, less than a minute with Victor and she was already irritated. "Victor please, don't play this game with me. You know as well as I do that they aren't at the loft."

Victor walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink. Taking a large gulp. "I'm sorry Marlena, but I can't help you."

She stood abruptly. "Can't? Or won't?"

He faced her. "Can't... I don't have a clue where John and Brady are."

"Victor!" She turned and grabbed the rattle. "This is Brady's rattle!"

"So? He is my grandson and he has spent time here."

"Yes... he does and apparently he has since yesterday! Brady had this rattle with him yesterday at The Pub!"

Victor drained the contents of his glass and glanced away from Marlena. "I'm sorry Marlena... but I can't help you." He started to walk past her and she gently took hold of his arm.

"Victor please... I am begging you..." She sniffed back her tears. "I need to find John... Please tell me where he went, Victor."

He looked into her eyes full of unshed tears. He took her hand and sat with her on the sofa. "Marlena... for what it's worth I promise you I am not being obstructive or deliberately misleading. I honestly don't know where they are."

She wiped her eyes and held up the rattle. "But... they were here?"

"Yes... they were here. At about 2 this morning."

"What on earth..."

"John showed up in a odd mood. Just said they had to leave, and he wanted to let me say goodbye to Brady."

She let a sob break free. "Oh God..." Her tears wouldn't stop. "How... you said John was in an odd mood? Like, angry?"

He thought for a moment. "No... no it was like... nothing..."

She shook her head in confusion. "Nothing? I don't understand."

He stood up and started to pace. "I don't know how to describe it...just nothingness. He showed no emotion whatsoever, Marlena."

She gasped. "Oh God... he's shutting down."

"Yes and no... it was just like he wasn't there... at all. No sign of the man my daughter was married to. No sign of the John that we all know."

Marlena's hand flew to cover her mouth, smothering the sob she felt coming. "I... I have to find him. Please Victor, can you tell me anything?"

He sat back beside her. "The only thing I know, is that he took my private Jet."

That got her attention. "Victor! Then you HAVE to know where he went! He would have to file a flight plan."

He quirked his eyebrow. "Marlena... my staff are well paid and skilled at getting around things like that."

"Even without your permission?"

He shrugs. "They all know John... and money makes things happen." He watched her as she stared off into the distance crying silent tears. "Marlena, I don't mean to pry, but what has happened? Why are you so desperate to find John?"

She took a shuttered breath trying to stem her tears. "Doesn't matter..."

He laughed. "I beg to differ. Think about it... the well respected Dr. Marlena Evans coming to Victor Kiriakis for help, you must be desperate."

She chuckled. "Yeah well... it didn't get me very far did it?" She stood and turned to leave. She stopped to face him once more. She tried to keep the desperation from her voice. "Is he coming back?"

He shook his head sadly. "I didn't get that impression." He stood and walked her to the door. "If he makes contact, do you want me to give him a message?"

She smiled sadly, "Tell him to come home, this is where he belongs... with his family."

He took her hand and gently squeezed it, "I will let you know if I hear from him."

She simply nodded and walked away.