Chapter 8

Marlena sat on the sofa after working a half day, she just can't seem to shake this fatigue she has felt for several weeks and working from home was more comfortable. She wanted to be there when Sami got home from school. She hasn't seen much of the girls in the last two months... both of them seem to make an extra effort not to be home. Sami joined several after school clubs and sports. And Carrie was taking a few college classes and volunteering at the hospital in the evenings. Marlena actually scheduled dinner with them at the pub for today. Roman was supposed to come, but these things aren't high on his priority list.

Marlena removed the glasses from the bridge of her nose and set them aside with her patient file, when the front door opened. The girls came in laughing. "Well is that my two beautiful daughters? I feel like you've grown..."

Sami rolled her eyes with a smile. "Since breakfast mom?"

Marlena laughed. "Perhaps... this is the first good look I've gotten of the two of you. You all come and go so fast you just seem like flashes of blonde and brown hair!"

Sami placed her backpack by the front door. "Are we still going to the Pub for dinner?"

Marlena stood and gathered her files. "Yes Ma'am, so why don't you two get washed up and we'll head out."

Carrie kicked her shoes off. "Is Roman coming?"

Marlena sighed. "Carrie... we talked about that..."

Carrie shrugged. "I don't call him Roman to his face... which is easy because we never see his face around here..."

Marlena snorted despite herself. "Honey... go get ready."

Marlena followed behind her to the foot of the stairs. "Samantha? Did you bring the permission slip home for softball camp?"

"Mom... we aren't supposed to yell up and down the stairs..."

Marlena stifled her giggle. "Samantha Gene!"

"It's in my bookbag!" Sami said in laughter.

Marlena bent and grabbed her bag. "Good grief... feels like bricks in here..." She sat it on the sofa and opened it. "Everything in here except the kitchen sink..." She pulled out a small box. Removing the lid, she gasped... "Oh my..."

~~~~~

Carrie knocked on Sami's door. "Who is it?"

Carrie rolled her eyes. "One of the two other people currently in the house..."

Sami turned the lock and opened it. "Come in smart ass... I was just finishing up my letter." She sat at the desk and glanced at Carrie. "Do you have yours?"

"Yep... it's in my purse." She was looking over Sami's shoulder. "Where's the picture? The one we took at the mall?"

Sami shooed her away. "I got it, it's..." Sami's head shot up with worry. "It's in the box... which is..."

Carrie's mouth shot open. "... in your bookbag..."

Sami hurried towards the door. "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit...."

Carrie followed behind her whispering. "Sami watch your mouth..."

~~~~

They both raced down the stairs... coming to a halt on the landing. They stared intently at their mother. She was wiping her cheeks and staring at something. They slowly approached her. Sami spoke first. "Mom?"

Marlena drew a deep breath. "He's... so big!"

Carrie stepped up behind the sofa and looked at the picture Marlena had in her hand, shrugging her shoulders to Sami. The girls jumped when they heard a car door slam.